[Yaesu] Quadra

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Aug 18 13:07:59 EDT 2013

On 8/17/2013 3:34 AM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> On 8/17/2013 2:10 AM, Adam Farson wrote:
>> Hi Roger,

Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a ham.

1st. I did have a grounding problem, but it wasn't the problem withe the
rigs communicating.  As suggested by another (and I can't find the
e-mail) that he'd had a similar problem with the sam rig and amp after a
long term of service.  At his suggestion, I did a complete reset on the
5000MP. When /I fired up the VL-1000 (Quadra) it was on 40 meters where
it should be.

Unfortunately that grounding problem wiped out the filters at the 12 VDC
input on my VNA. It smoked them!  I hope it's repairable as those things
aren't cheap.  I foresee a phone call to Array Solutions tomorrow.

But on another note...The Quadra was putting out 500 watts on low, just
like it should, BUT when I went to high to set the ALC it gave me a
warning around 600 - 650 watts of a PA imbalance. Error #1003 which was
not a good sign.  That's an imbalance of 50 watts or greater between
sections.  It could be a transistor(s) or a combiner "module"?

So I'm looking for any "gotchas" when replacing the MRF-150s such as
balancing or the need for a matched set, a good place to get them, and
wondering if there might be a more rugged replacement for the MRF-150
that wouldn't require rebuilding the RF section.  A service manual would
help too<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)