[Yaesu] FT890 strange behavior

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Jul 10 23:55:49 EDT 2013

Sounds like common mode RF on the feedline is triggering the over-
voltage protect (crowbar) in the power supply.  Were you on a
different frequency/band than normal?

Best thing you can do is install a common mode choke - see the info
in the first article here: http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
Also read the articles on "Transmitting chokes."

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/10/2013 11:32 PM, Michael Tortorella wrote:
> Hi all, using an FT890 with Astron SS-30M supply and DX Lab Suite.
Receives FB but the instant I hit the key, the xcvr shuts off, the
supply voltage goes down to 3 volts. Turn everything off, restart, same
deal: receives FB, as soon as I hit the key, the xcvr shuts off and
supply goes to 3V. At first I thought it was RF getting into the supply
so I separated the two by a couple feet and this _seemed_ to help. But
tonight the problem is back fully.

> This first happened two days ago. Then last night everything was
> fine,
worked several stations OK. Tonight, problem. Has anyone seen anything
like this before? Any advice greatly appreciated.