[Yaesu] FT-8100R Back In Service Again ...

WD8ARZ wd8arz at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 15 20:07:01 EDT 2014

Now that I have been retired a couple of years, I have settled into
using ham radio more than I did while working. While sorting stuff the
other day, I came across my FT-8100R stored away in a box and forgotten
about. At least I had stored everything with the radio. Mic, power
cable, remote head cable kit, ADMS-2D FT-8100 v1097 Programming software
and programming cable.

Note: The ADMS-2C is only for the FT-8500, FT-3000M  and the FT-8000R
radios. The 2D upgrade kit works for the FT-8100.

I do remember that long before storing the FT-8100R, I had done the
modification / repair procedure to the control head to fix the volume
control problem connections. In essence I remove the connector and
soldered wires from the volume control to the pcb directly. That
annoying problem fixed permanently.

Decided I wanted to put it in the mobile again, but wanted to re-learn
using it before I did. So I have it set up in the house and have been
reading the manual and testing it out again. Fortunately all is still
work well. Had never used the remote head cabling kit, so figured I
might as well install that so I could put the small control head of the
FT-8100R on my dash with out the whole radio being there. Wouldnt you
know it, all the screws Yaesu had put in that kit were the wrong size
and would not fit! Unbelievable.  Found at Lowes the 2.5mm machine
screws I needed - Handi - Pack part# 87290. They were too long, but easy
to cut down. Smoothed off the cut end after the cut, and they worked fine.

Had forgotten a lot of nice features in that radio. True dual bander,
easy to use and oh yes, love the scan mode that lets you auto store in
separate memories for that purpose, the frequencies in use in your area
... or any other area you visit. Just save in a new memory file whats in
the rig before doing a fresh scan. Save memories for each area of
interest and load em on when you want them. Sweet.

Even though I use Kenwood TM-D700AG dual bander with my other Kenwood
gear for SkyCommand, I wanted a separate dual bander in the vehicle as a
stand alone dual bander.

Now to find and dig out my Ft-50RD so I can mate those two Yaesu rigs
back up again. There are some special features in those radios that work
only with each other.... but I remember that I need a new control panel
in the HT. Buttons got way to intermittent to use anymore. Wonder if
those are still available ... time for me to do some research ... hi hi

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
Traveling down the Yaesu memory lane ......
Gosh, need to fire up the FT-1000MP again one of these days :-]