[Yaesu] FT1000MP won't transmit on just 40M

Carl Lester via Yaesu yaesu at contesting.com
Fri Feb 27 10:42:15 EST 2015

Hi Cecil, thank you for your response.  Yes, after I wrote my original post, I realized I wasn't really specific enough.  What is happening is it appears everything is OK, just NO RF out on 40M. The TX lite comes on, everything appears normal. The ALC level goes up, but no RF Out.  I did not look at the DC supply current and voltage reading while trying to transmit, that is an excellent idea! Additionally, by the way, there is no RF out in any mode, CW, SSB, AM, RTTY (FSK) nothing.
Now, a little update as of this morning:  Last night before going to bed, I unplug the 1000MP from the 120VAC wall outlet.  Then this morning I went in pushed the power button and it didn't come on because I had forgotten I unplugged it last night. :-)  So turned off the power button, then plugged the rig back in and then pushed the power button and it powered up. It was still on 40M CW where I had left it last night.  I then hit the my CW key, and what do you know, it transmitted!!! Full RF out. I was happy to see it working again, but that is certainly disturbing.  I tried changing bands around, turn it back off and on, change modes, turned it off and on some more, and no problem. Still working fine. Went off to take a shower, etc. and so about a half hour later, went down to the shack, turned it on, and it is still working fine!
So I don't know what to think. Your idea about the PIN diodes make sense, but they wouldn't "get better" so not sure.  I wonder if I got a sticky relay somewhere specific to the 40M band?
Also, by the way, I have had this problem occasionally over several years! Usually cycling the power fixes it, so I've been living in denial, and going on, HI HI, until last night when nothing seemed to help.
Thanks for your help and suggestions, Cecil.  If (when) it happens again, I will be sure to see if it is trying to draw current! That would be a good clue for sure.
My other radio is an even way older FT990.  It just keeps going! Never a problem. (knock-on-wood)
Best 73!Carl,  K2YR