N4ZR ARRL DX CW SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N4ZR ARRL DX CW SOLP
From: n4zr@ix.netcom.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:34:29 -0800

    N4ZR 1996 ARRL CW DX

    Category : Single Op Low Power

    Team/Club : Potomac Valley Radio Club

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

  160CW        1           1          3         1
   80CW       85          84        252        40
   40CW      136         135        405        45
   20CW      666         661       1983        74
   15CW       79          79        237        39

 Totals      967         960       2880       199

    Final Score = 573120 points.

 Equipment:  TS-930SAT, 100 watts
             20-10  Force 12 C-3 at 97 feet
             40-80  Inverted vees, apex at 93 feet
             160    badly mismatched 80-meter inverted vee, 5 watts out
             TR Log 5.61 (worked flawlessly throughout)

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 First serious outing with the new antennas, so no real benchmark, but it
 didn't take a lot of experience to recognize that 15 was dreadful - it never
 opened for me to Europe the first morning, and only about 45 minutes the
 second.  Any time I don't work a "G" on 15 ....

 Only operated about 36 hours, because after 20 died each evening I couldn't
 hear enough stations on 40 and 80 to be worth the loss of sleep.  During
 the mornings, in particular, 20 was like putting the entire NFL in a small
 hotel ballroom and telling them, "Boogie your heart out!"   I found myself
 running at 14065 the first day and as high as 14085 the second, and there
 were lots of people above me both days.

 1 QSO on 160, with FS5PL.  Didn't dare run my transceiver into that
near-infinite  mismatch for any more.  On the agenda for next year, better
low-band capabilities.  And please, whoever manages these things ... SUNSPOTS!!!

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@ix.netcom.com