Ol' Contester Goofs (was KT4LD DISQUALIFICATION)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: Ol' Contester Goofs (was KT4LD DISQUALIFICATION)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 23:08:00 -0800
At 07:43 AM 11/6/96 -0800, Ward Silver wrote:

>Hey there, contest mavens, how about posting the best of your worst?  No
>need to air the deep dark secrets of your contesting soul, just those
>special events that illuminate the sheer humanity of it all.

This one wasn't an on-the-air mistake, but in its own way, even worse.  Back
in the mid-1980's I wrote a contest logger/machine CW program for the
Commodore 64, which I marketed for a couple of years.  Because the C-64 only
had 38K of user memory, I did separate programs for each contest, with
multipliers hard-coded (no room for arrays).  When I wrote the ARRL DX Test
version, I got everything done, no time for beta test, but I was feeling
infallible so I shipped it out anyway.

A few days later, and just before the CW weekend, one of my oldest and most
faithful customers called, to say, "Hey, when did they change the rules to
count sections instead of states?"   Groan....

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com
West (bigawd) Virginia