K7FR SS SSB Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K7FR SS SSB Score
From: k7fr@concord.televar.com (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:40:52 -0800
Score

SO/LP EWA 24 hours

1448 x 78 = 225,888 pts

By band breakdown

80      195
40      143
20      422
15      688

Soap box

This was absolutely the best SS ever!!!   No Pig Farmers,  great conditions,
lots of people....can it get any better than this?

15 meters repeated as the BAND.  Started on 15 and the first 3 hours were
135,115,128!  Final total was 688 Q's on 15.  After 15 I went to 20 and did
OK until it conked out.  40 was 40......I think it should become a contest
free band and let us use 30 meters for contesting.  80 played well and I
went past my usual 0900Z off period start hoping that it would go long and
let me pick up DE and WMA before ZZZZZ's.  Alas it stayed short and allowed
me to gobble up a boat load of CA's.  Went to sleep needing DE, WMA, MAR,
PQ, VI.  I had heard them all at one time or another and felt good that I
would snare them early on Sunday.  On at 1600Z for the morning run of
1,2,3's on 20.....which really became 15.  Picked up the remaining sections
for the sweep by 1734Z and set about the task of keeping the rate up.  First
3 hours of the morning were near repeats of the start; 116,80,91.  My goal
of breaking my previous best of 1100Q's seemed do-able.  Fuel was added to
the fire when I ran across NA5S and he was only 15 Q's ahead of me.  The
fire really got going good when I found that KK9A and K7QQ were about in the
same area (Rex, QQ, is one of my hero's).  For the rest of the contest I
kept a running tally of each as I heard them during S&P forrays. My last
entry for NA5S was 1,508Q's so I knew I couldn't catch him but #2 wouldn't
be all that bad.  Now I'll find out there was someone out there I didn't
hear with more Q's........

Random Stats

Mosted worked Section - Illinois  93

Most common Check - 93  <--------|  good signs!!

2nd most common Check - 94 <--|
3rd......................................... .- 91 <--|
4th...........................................- 92 <--|

Least Common Post-1950's Check - 81   <----this is common to both my CW and
SSB log.  The early '80s were bad years for producing contesters.

The rankings point to a real good trend.  Since there was no 10M activity
these checks are from General and above licensed hams and shows that we may
have turned 2 corners in ham history; there is a rising interest in HF and
contesting is catching on amongst the new folks.  I would like to get into a
few other 1000+Q logs to see if the trend is prevalent in other areas.  If
anyone out there would like to e-mail me their logs (1000+Q) I will run the
same analysis on them and see what shakes out.  *.bin, *.res, *.log or any
ascii  file is useable.

Quirky Things

Getting a Check of 95 from a W 1x2 that sounded like one of my kids.

Working the Mother/Daughter combo of N5KW/N5KK.

73 es cu in CQWW!

Gary K7FR