[3830] ARRL Phone 97

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL Phone 97
From: force12e@lightlink.com (Natan Huffman)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 22:34:22 -0500
NOT A GOOD WEEKEND......

Knew I was in trouble when I could see shadows caused by the Aurora on
Friday night just before the contest started.   Did mangage to work several
new grid squares on 2 off the curtain, but that is for another reflector.
Well, we wanted sunspots......this type of storm goes along with it.
Certainly it comes as no surprise to anyone that the conditions SUCKED.....
 Did not work a European on 40, 80, or 160 until three hours after the
European sunrise and those stations were coming in from the South on 40 and
80.  On Friday night, the "S" meter did not move at all when I tuned across
the 40 meter band looking for someone, anyone to work.

Thought there might be a conspiracy as the wind never ever let up the
entire weekend.  Suspect the velocity was over 75 mph many times as the
gusts were shaking the house.  One of the benefits of living on a hill!
The rotors absolutely refused to turn the arrays most of the weekend as the
wind was just too much.  On Sat. night, the rains started with the most
incredible rain static I have ever experienced.  Of course the rain static
was punctuated by lightning static also.  Sure did give the DSP units a
work out! Was waiting for some equipment to fail, but that was about the
only thing that did not happen.

A number of factors reduced my participation to 15 hours as I had to wear
many hats this weekend.  Felt a little sore throat coming on late Friday
night....so did the only thing that can be done...I made a large amount of
Natan's Chicken Soup...  Doubt if I missed more than 1 or 2 QSOs while
chasing the chicken etc.  Sure was boring.  The ever dependable Sadie D.
Dachschund Dog spent the weekend at my feet looking up at me from time to
time to be sure I was alive, as I made little noise.

All in all I was disappointed that I was unable to do a full effort for the
FRC, but that will happen next season.  Have lots of plans this summer for
additional aluminum, so this was this station configurations swan song.
There was really few high-lights other than rolling onto a howling pileup
on Sunday afternoon late with FH5AB (or something like that) trying to
control things.  Managed to work him after a few calls and he mentioned
that he heard me before......Oh well...its the thought that counts.

Thought a lot about the Contest Ethics thread from last week while waiting
for something to happen on the bands this weekend , and would like to
remind everyone that many years ago (1972 I think), while on the CAC, I
proposed to write a set of contest ethics that would be supported by all
the major contest clubs and hopefully the contest sponsors.  Unfortunately,
a rather quick move to California prevented that from getting done as no
one else on the CAC at the time picked up the ball.   Still feel that there
is a place for a written document that addresses some of the problems we
have.   If you think we could justify and support such a
document/concept....let the CAC know!!   Just don't know how long we, as
contesters, are going to get away with loading up 20 from one end to the
other with CQ ng stations.  I bet if the SSTV crowd decided (against the
bandplan) to put stations from one end of twenty to the other, you and I
would be angry....right?  Seems like I remember something like that
happening a number of years ago ...came from Southern Europe and it was
very ugly.    There have been times during this contest season, when that
is exactly what was going on.  Perhaps, the idea of CQng on a given
frequency for the length of the band opening is not what we need right now.
 I enjoy running a frequency as much as everyone, but if it dries up....I
move on.  Of course, I do single op, and you have to move on, unlike some
other classes.  Not the case with some techniques.  It seems that frequency
fights are getting more aggressive and happen more often.  With all the
pressures on spectrum, we don't need to make problems for ourselves.

Glad this season is about over, as that means next October is not far away.

Break down follow:   All 15 hours worth!

160    16     13

80      33     26

40     95      45

20    356      75

15     109      49

10      19        04

628 QSOs and 212 countries for a whopping 399,408 FRC points.

W6XR is:

160......vertical with elevated radials / dipole at 72'

 80.......rotatable dipole at 75'

40 ....... 2 el. rotatable yagi at 85'

20, 15, 10 ....Force 12 C3's at 85 and 45'

10........4 el monobander at 85'

more to come!

Hope all had a good time.....it does not get much worse than this weekend!
 Forever looking for young contesting studdly-do right who is willing to
make the long trek to Ithaca..

73s,

Natan W6XR