[3830] WO1N ARRL DX SSB SOA - LP + Story

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WO1N ARRL DX SSB SOA - LP + Story
From: Ken_Caruso@compuserve.com (KEN CARUSO)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 23:36:08 -0500
                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1999

         Call: WO1N                      Country:  United States
         Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Assisted
        Power: Low                         Hours: 21

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES
      160       11       33   3.0        9
       80       40      120   3.0       28
       40       43      129   3.0       32
       20      109      327   3.0       59
       15      137      411   3.0       61
       10       72      216   3.0       41
     --------------------------------------
     Totals    412     1236   3.0      230  =   284,280

All reports sent were 59MA, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description: FT1000D, Cushcraft R7, 160-40 trap dipole,
                       160M Inv L
Club Affiliation: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Soapbox:

 Torture is the word that comes to mind when I think about SSB contests
my shack. This one lived up to the expectation. I was originally planning
a 300Q torture test, but the YCCC crew set the minimum limit at 400Q's
if you wanted to participate in the awards program. OK.

 Fortunately I came down with some chest cold thing Thursday (Single Op
Assisted, Flu - SOAF) which helped justify to the family 21 hrs, at least
during Saturday. That excuse wore thin on Sunday and as soon as I hit
400Q's at 1845Z Sunday, I pulled the plug, other than a few more
right at the end. The succession of CQ160CW, ARRLDXCW, CQ160SSB and then
this one certainly doesn't help either.

 At any rate, super conditions Saturday. Sunday was a day to
be forgotten. Late start, I believe I got on literally minutes before
some sort of solar thing wiped out the bands for the better part of the
morning. Went out and shoveled snow came back and found at least 15M and
20M partly recovered.

 The highlights would have to be working whisper weak FK8VHN with one
call on 10M while the rest were screaming their lungs out for
the other FK8. Working T30R with an out of step but well timed call on 10M.

Shutting down at about 0515Z Sunday morning, then turning the radio back
on to sweep 160 one last time and walking away with 5Q's and 3 countries
in 15 min.

 Ken
 WO1N