[3830] W6EEN (N6RT op.) IARU SOABHP CW only

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W6EEN (N6RT op.) IARU SOABHP CW only
From: n6rt@qsl.net (Doug Brandon N6RT)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:08:22 -0700
                       IARU HF Championship -- 1999

       Call: W6EEN (N6RT op.)         Country:  United States (Zone 6)
                                      Category: Single Operator, High Power
                                                CW only, unassisted

      BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS

       160        4        6     1.50      2      1
        80       68      174     2.56      9      3
        40      248      894     3.60     25     12
        20      834     3560     4.27     43     26
        15      831     3499     4.21     31     20
        10       89      287     3.22     16      6

      Totals   2074     8420     4.06    126     68

                  Score: 1,633,480 points

All reports sent were 599 6, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:
    TS950SDX x 2, Alpha87a x 2, monobanders

Club Affiliation: Southern California Contest Club

I got a very nasty surprise when I noticed AFTER the contest that the CT
"contest information" screen was configured to put me in zone 3 (ala CQ)
instead of zone 6.  Fixing that dropped me about 50k.  :(

All bands below 15m were very noisy with lots of static crashes.

It sure would be nice to be a little farther east and north so I could pick
up some more zones and HQs on the lower bands.  Of course this is what all
W6's mumble to themselves after a DX contest!  :)

160m:   Completely non-existant.  The only station I ever heard
         was W1AW/9.  Thanks to W2VJN and N2IC for moving to give
         me zones 6 and 7.  I tried moving a couple of zone 8 stations
         here, but was never able to complete a QSO.

80m:    A bunch of US & VE, but not much of anything else.  The QRN
         even made picking out JAs difficult.

40m:    Did not seem very good Saturday morning.  I started here,
         but did not like "the feel of the band" and quickly moved
         to run on 20m after about 4 minutes.  EU HQ stations had good
         sigs, but not much else from EU.  Only had two EU stations
         answer my CQs.  Best rates to JA were during the very last
         hour.

20m:    The band was great after sunset.  Great EU runs until about
         2:30am local when it slowed down, but then the JAs kept the
         rate going.

15m:    I heard some decent EU sigs on 15m at 1130Z before the contest
         (an hour before sunrise!) and was hoping for another WPX repeat
         of excellent 15m conditions.  It was good, but not quite as
         good as WPX and I could not start running 15m until 1400Z.  I
         heard JAs and some EU as late as 2am!  It seemed like I had
         worked everybody here after about 2200Z, I often had to CQ
         4 or 5 times to get an answer.

10m:    ZT6Z and ZS6SA were loud, but nothing else very exciting.
         Only worked one JA and one EU (OL9HQ over the pole).

Many thanks to Don W6EEN for letting me use his awesome station.

    73 de Doug, N6RT

   Doug Brandon          http://www.qsl.net/n6rt          n6rt@qsl.net