[3830] VA7RR (at VE7SZ) IARU 1999 S/O SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VA7RR (at VE7SZ) IARU 1999 S/O SSB
From: ve7ntt@bc.sympatico.ca (Gary Caldwell)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:14:58 -0700
1999 IARU HF Championship

VA7RR (at VE7SZ)
    Single-op, SSB

Raw numbers:    Band    QSOs    HQ   Zones
                 160      15     2       7
                  80      73     3      19
                  40      79     7      30
                  20     887    20      46
                  15    1433    25      45
                  10      32     1      14

            Total       2519    58     161    =   2,418,855

       Many thanks to Allan, VE7SZ, for the use of his FB antennas and
equipment, and for helping  me to showcase my new VA7RR callsign for the
first time in a DX-oriented contest.

Some observations:
       a)  Conditions were surprising spectacular here in VE7,
especially on 15 meters.  I've never heard 15 sound so good in an IARU
R/S contest, and I've participated in just about all of them since the
first one in 1977.  The EU and JA rates were non-stop, with most hours
between 15Z and 03Z over 100 Q/hour.  The best hour into Europe was at
15Z with 157 QSOs.
      b) In a typical WPX, WW, or IARU contest from British Columbia,
I'll normally work about 40% DX and 60% North America (although I'd
prefer that the ratio be reversed!)  This weekend the log contained 74%
DX QSOs and only 26% North American contacts.
     c) Forty meters was a real disappointment.  I expected to lose out
on a bunch of mults by not being on cw, but I did not anticipate the
near shutout into JA.  I logged about 6 JAs at the start of the test,
and only worked three more during the last 5 hours, even though I called
a LOT of CQs (I would have expected to log 100-200).  One pleasant
surprise--I managed to work four Europeans around 04Z.  EU QSOs from
here on 40 are really tough during the summer months;  sunrise in
Eastern Europe occurs about two hours before my sunset.
     d) Had a bit of a Murphy visit this weekend.  We lost the 20 meter
Top Ten A/B switch during the second hour.  By the time we figured out
why there were suddenly no signals on the band, there was a 16 minute
gap in the log with no QSOs!  I'm very glad that Allan had a spare
switch to replace the bad one.  Also had S-7 line noise into JA on 15,
but, luckily, the noise blanker on the FT1000 did a reasonable job of
minimizing it.  I didn't seem to notice the band QRN that others have
reported.

     Thanks to all for the contacts!

73,

Gary  VA7RR  (ex-VE7NTT)