[3830] K6Z CQP MM/HP County Expedition

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K6Z CQP MM/HP County Expedition
From: k6zz@ccis.com (Bob Selbrede)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:44:37 -0700
                K6Z 1999 CQP Contest Summary

Category:       Multi-Multi County Expedition (Inyo County)

Location:       Fossil Falls in Southern Inyo County

Operators:      K6ZZ, K6VR, K6RO, N6ED, N6RT, W6KK, N7CQQ + Spike the Dog

Equipment:      3 - 800 Watt stations each with a generator,
                PC w/CT 9.39, filters, etc.

Antennas:       3 Tribanders @ 25'-40', Alpha Delta Sloper, Trap Vertical

Op Time:        24.5 hours

Breakdown:      Band    CW      SSB     Total

                160M    10      10      20
                 80M    70      170     240
                 40M    170     75      245
                 20M    415     615     1030
                 15M    340     735     1075
                 10M    105     775     880

                Total   1110    2380    3490

Raw Score:      8090 QSO Pts x 58 Mults = 469,220 Points

Comments:

Thanks to the NCCC for another great contest.  We had a ball.  After last
year's outing to Fossil Falls we decided to try it again this year and shoot
for the 21 year old County Expedition Record.  We were pleased to have
broken it only 15 hours into the contest.

This was a real adventure as anyone who was there will attest to!  We had
trouble with 2 of the 3 tribanders but managed to get them fixed.  One
generator died before we got started so we pulled out the reserve unit.  One
of the amps wouldn't work on the low line voltage so we had to change the
transformer taps.  We forgot the control box for one of the Dunestar filters
so we kludged one up out of miscellaneous parts we had laying around.

The real fun started Saturday afternoon with the windstorm.  Fossil Falls is
basically flat desert and volcanic lava rock.  The wind picked up Saturday
afternoon and we could hardly see the computer screens through the blowing
dust and sand.  After a few hours the computer keyboards were sticking bad
and by 1am Sunday morning everyone was so wiped out we cashed it in for the
day rather than operating through the night.  We resumed operating around
6:30am and continued on through the "cool desert breeze" until the whistle
blew at quitting time.  We're still finding sand in places we never knew
existed!

It was a "blast".  Can we do it again soon!  Thanks to everyone for the QSO's.

73, Bob K6ZZ