[3830] WQ5L SS CW SO/LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WQ5L SS CW SO/LP
From: rocker@datasync.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:17:15 -0600 (CST)
WQ5L (@ N5FG) SS CW SO/LP score

Band    QSOs
------------
80CW     28
40CW    449
20CW    496
15CW    109
10CW      9
------------
Total  1091 x 2 x 79 sections == 172,378 points
(QSOs over-reported by 1 on 3830...my bad)

Section: MS
Hours operated: 24
One radio (FT1000 throttled back to 150W), four antennas
(2 el 40, 5 el 20, 3 el tribander, windom for 80)

Sweep!!! My first ever without assistance. Got in just under
the wire too: found VE4MT for #79 on the low end of 40 meters
with only 20 minutes to spare. Pileup was big, but so was
VE4MT's signal (10 over 9) and I got through in just three
or four calls. What a rush!

Earlier in the day KP2N had answered my CQ, giving me NR 15.
I see now what a lucky break that was. Another lucky break
was the K index backing off after peaking at 5. I didn't
work VY1 on Saturday and figured that the aurora would
ruin any chances of doing do on Sunday, but it did happen.

Other than a computer glitch which delayed my start until 2107Z,
everything went extremely smoothly. Other than the short wait
for VE4MT and about a 10-minute pileup wait for VY1JA, I worked
nearly everyone on the first call. Had very few problems finding
or holding run frequencies. 20 meter condx were excellent.

A second radio sure would have helped my QSO count. I spent a lot
of time reading the Sunday paper between presses of the CQ key.

Bizarre experience dept.: Found a nice clear freq on 15m,
quick QRL? received no reply, so I dashed off a CQ. After a
second or two of silence, a mob of at least 20 callers suddenly
appeared. Whoa. After recovering from the shock, I figured out
that KP2N was working split and I had landed on his listening
frequency. D'oh.

73,

-- Ray  WQ5L  rocker@datasync.com