[3830] Stew Perry AA8U Single Op

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Stew Perry AA8U Single Op
From: aa8u@modempool.com (aa8u@modempool.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:58:27 -0500 (EST)
                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: AA8U
Operator(s): AA8U
Station: AA8U

Class: Single Op
Power: QRP
Operating Time (hrs): 15

Grid Square: EN72

QSOs: 221  Score: 1972

Comments:

QRP on 160 is tough!

This is the first time I've tired operating this way (4.5 Watts) and I must say
I now have a deep appreciation for all those that do well operating QRP. It
takes a lot of determination and patience. Especially on 160.

I heard lots of good DX and spent too much time chasing VK's and JA's.
Conditions seemed marginal as I usually hear many more Europeans than I did
this time. I think I'll stick to running more power next time. Life is too
short for QRP. Not really, it was fun.

I got a kick out of actually getting answers to my calls. After calling a
couple stations and getting no response I decided to just find a spot and call
CQ. That way, those that hear me will answer...maybe less time wasted. I think
that strategy worked fairly well. Occasionally I would have to find a new "run"
frequency or go S&P but I was plesantly suprised to find I could hold a freq
and actually make some "rate".

Oh, I'm glad I only had to operate 15 hours this way.

73,
Bruce
AA8U

PS  Neat way to end the 20th Century. See you all in 2000....Y2K and God
willing.