[3830] ARRLDX SSB VA7RR 15M SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VA7RR 15M SOAB HP
From: va7rr@telus.net (Gary Caldwell)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 21:12:43 -0800
ARRL DX SSB 2000

VA7RR

15 METER SOAB HP        2,607 QSOs x 120 Mults =   938,520 pt.

Station:  FT1000D and Amp Supply LK550ZC
             Force 12  5/5  (85'/39')

     I decided to try this one from the home station, so the weekend
before the contest we replaced our lower 4 el 20 at 39' with a 5 el 15.

     With the very good propagation, the diversity of the stack was
quite apparent.  I spent a lot of time switching antennas--sometimes the
stack was best to a particular location, sometimes the upper antenna,
and sometimes the lower one.  During all of the EU and JA openings, the
antenna(s) that performed the best would change as the opening
progressed from beginning to peak to end.  It was really, really
interesting.

     This was also the only contest I've ever been in that I worked
every single multiplier I heard.  Unfortunately, in comparison to other
15 s/b numbers, I'm down about ten countries, so I may have spent a bit
too much time CQing.  The band closed here both nights at 06Z (10 pm)
local, and opened at about 1315Z each morning.  I experienced none of
the evening polar EU openings reported by VE6JY (could be because of the
mountain directly north of my QTH which blocks out things out between
340 and 20 degrees).

     All in all, good overall activity, lots of participation  from JA,
and some really juicy mults that answered my CQs.  Thanks to all for the
contacts.

73,

Gary  VA7RR