[3830] 2001 FQP N2NL/M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] 2001 FQP N2NL/M
From: n2nl@yahoo.com (David Mueller)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
Hi guys...It started out great but went downhill with
some mechanical problems....

Palm Beach County
20CW: 39/19
40CW: 13/7

Hendry County
20CW: 26/18

Glades County
20CW: 29/18

Highland County
20CW: 26/13

Okeechobee
20CW: 35/26

Martin:
20CW: 9/7

Rig/vehicle:  1985 Ford Bronco w/ 38.5" tires (AKA
"The Beast"), IC706, phased 20m linear loaded whips,
Diamond HF antenna with 15/40m reasonators

It all started great....I had to hand log so I only
operated while stopped.  I have dual batteries so no
chance of killing the starting battery.  It went well
but I felt rushed to "get back on the road" to the
next county.  1/3 of the way through my planned trip
the engine died.  I got it started, it would run 5-10
minutes and die again.  I limped back home this way
cutting my day short.  I spend day 2 troubleshooting
out in the rain and I think I tracked it down to an
ingition wire grounding out against the engine block.

I recently aquired this vehicle in pretty bad shape
and I guess it wasn't quite ready for the long haul.
I'm presently restoring it, so I'll be ready for next
year.  The setup worked GREAT - absolutely no ignition
noise (even when I got the engine to run!) and the
setup "hears" well - although I couldn't drive, log,
and send code at the same time.  Conditions were LOUSY
but the initial pileup everytime I got to a new county
was fun.  Unfortunately due to the engine problem I
was more worried about making it home than making
QSOs.

73, Dave N2NL