[3830] ARRL SS CW W1ECH SO LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW W1ECH SO LP
From: w1ech@yahoo.com (w1ech@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:58:49 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, CW

Call: W1ECH
Operator(s):
Station: W1ECH

Class: SO LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------------------
Total:    765 x     80  =  122,400

Club: Green Mountain Wireless

Comments:

I love the c.w. SS, especially the annual contacts with those whom I don't see
the rest of the year.  How many recall the ARRL "Clean Sweep" whisk broom
available for working all sections in 1983 -- the 50th SS?  Mine is still on
display with the various mugs!

To those who asked "Where oh where was Vermont this year??" I can only say I
tried!  FYI, VT was my 76th section; I almost wondered if anyone else was on,
but I finally found someone on 80.

My first rig quietly died Sunday around 11:00 a.m. Discouraged, I knocked off
for a few hours but eventually came back on with another one I hooked up. I
stopped again later to accept a dinner invitation from our 2-1/2 year old grand
son, who lives nearby.  (Who can resist "Pweeze come for dinner, Grampa?" on
the phone? <s>)

Equipment consisted of an IC-746 and my trusty all-band 80-meter half wave
wire. Hopefully, next year I can go back to my split phones and dual
transceivers, with the switching network I designed in 1980. To the amusement
of friends, I'm still using paper logs and my own design paper dup sheets,
which I prefer to logging programs. I've tried computer programs and think it's
still faster in the SS to instantly glance at my dup sheet when searching!

I expect WB1GQR or someone else will be there for phone, but I'll hope to hand
out a few VT phone QSO's, too.

73 and thanks!

Gary - W1ECH