[3830] IARU WB6BWZ SO Mixed QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU WB6BWZ SO Mixed QRP
From: wb6bwz@arrl.net (wb6bwz@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:48:36 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WB6BWZ
Operator(s): WB6BWZ
Station: WB6BWZ

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 12.7

  160:
   80:    2      1      2
   40:   19      1     10
   20:   60     21     23
   15:    5      5      5
   10:           1      1
---------------------------
Total:   86     29     41  Total Score = 10,701

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

First timer in this contest, S&P exclusively, QRP and wire antenna. Overall it
was a fun and enjoyable experience. The results, especially 20-meter SSB phone
QSOs with European stations, were beyond my expectations.

I normally operate CW at 18 wpm (3:1 dot-dash ratio) when QRP. During this
contest I experimented using higher speeds. DX stations (more than 2500 miles)
had difficulty copying my call correctly about 60 percent of the time at 22 wpm.
The error rate dropped to 20 percent at 20 wpm.

Every IARU Headquarter station worked/heard were willing to work anyone as their
priority instead of attempting contacts based on multipliers/points.

Heard just one of 52 WRTC2002 OJ stations...and only for a brief moment. It was
fun to observe the real-time team scores via the Internet.

Rig: Yaesu FT-817 5-watt QRP all-mode HF xcvr with W4RT's OBF (One-Board
Filters). Dentron Jr Monitor transmatch. Palm Radio Mini-Paddle. Heil Pro-Set
Plus headset. Writelog software (manual mode). Dell Latitude CPx J650CT laptop.

Wire Antenna: 153-foot OCF (off-center fed at 40 feet) stealth doublet in trees
next to I-75. Config: Upper 28-ga element vertical leaning towards the West;
lower 24-ga element Inverted-L pointed South.

QTH: Apartment on fourth floor in downtown Atlanta.