[3830] CQWW CW K2UA SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K2UA SOAB HP
From: k2ua@arrl.net (k2ua@arrl.net)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 08:45:02 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K2UA
Operator(s): K2UA
Station: K2UA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WNY
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   32     8       21
   80:  166    17       63
   40:  478    30       99
   20:  415    34      103
   15:  667    33      107
   10:  713    28      102
------------------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

It was an interesting weekend . . . like the old Chinese proverb. I lost
commercial power for three hours starting around 2100Z Saturday, *just* after
sunset, and for no apparent reason. (This couldn't have happened a week earlier
during the ice storm, right?) The power loss was most unwelcome. Not that I was
on a record pace or anything--but I'm fairly confident that it would have been a
top-ten effort. Instead it's going to be, like, 17th claimed.

Conditions, especially Saturday, were less than wonderful--but not quite as bad
as CQWW SSB. We had poor JA openings Friday night (dunno about Saturday). That
was a shame, since I rely on those openings. Runs were good; my best hour was
177 shortly after 10 opened on Saturday, which is just about normal. But run
periods were shorter than the past few years on the high bands, as expected.
Twenty was in purgatory almost all weekend; it was a no-show from here for
sunrise in Europe, which is usually one of the best times to be on the band. I
learned some things about finding mults--that's probably the best thing to come
from this weekend from my perspective. The new 80-meter antenna works very well;
it was worth the effort (and some more over the winter to improve the ground
system).

I sure enjoyed all the multipliers--it was stunning how much stuff was on the
air! THIS CONTEST NEEDS TO BE PERMANENTLY MOVED FROM THANKSGIVING WEEKEND! CQ,
are you listening?!