[3830] IARU WO4O SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Wo4o@juno.com
Subject: [3830] IARU WO4O SO CW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:33:44 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: WO4O
Operator(s): WO4O
Station: WO4O

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Zone 08
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

  160:    5     0       4
   80:   45     0      13
   40:  138     0      28
   20:  235     0      37
   15:  101     0      30
   10:   21     0       4
---------------------------
Total:  545     0     116  Total Score = 156,948

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Met or exceeded all my goals.  Goals were to produce more than 500 Qs and more
than 100k points and work W1AW/3 and NU1AW on 6 bands, while playing part time
on a couple hours sleep (because the neighbor's dog barked almost all of the
previous night).  When I met my final goal, I quit.

Made up my mind to have FUN in this one despite their restrictive rules, my
station limitations, op challenges, poor propagation, temporary inclement wx,
low activity, blah, blah, blah.

One of the main reasons I enjoy radiosport is because of the opportunity to
overcome adversity.  No, I'm not a glutton for punishment and I'm not an eternal
optimist.  I try to deal with the practicalities of reality.  As such, there is
an indescribable euphoric experience when adversity has been overcome.

Lobbying again for a rule change to add LOW POWER category.  Lobbying for this
has become an annual event.  Once this is fixed, I may begin to lobby for
Club/Team Competition . . .  all changes will increase participation (and
FUN)!
Next year, if there is NO LOW POWER category, I will make ONE QSO and quit and I
will encourage others to do the same.  This way we participate and make a
point!

Played with one radio because the other one was returned to repair shop.  For
reasons yet to be determined, the SWR on two antennas has increased to 3:1.
However, both were used this weekend.  While both should perform better,
valuable QSOs/Mults were produced in spite of the problems.  Only got 15 watts
out of the 160-meter sloper but worked 5 Qs, 2 HQs and 2 Zs!   Just goes to show
you should try almost anything.  It might work!

I needed Zone 8 on 10-Meters and heard Scott/W4PA at local WD4K on 28.085.
After calling several times with no response I cleverly ascertained that I was
hearing his harmonic from 14.0425.  Quickly changed to his fundamental frequency
to confirm this.  Result: No Zone 8 on 10-meters . . .  Maybe I should've asked
for a QSY?   Nah, it wasn't that important to me . . .

Thanks for the Qs!  73 Ric Wo4o