Re: [3830] Rule Change for IARU test

To: wo4o@juno.com
Subject: Re: [3830] Rule Change for IARU test
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:13:10 -0400
WO4O asks for:

Add LOW POWER category. Add QRP category. Add Club/Team Competition.

I can see an argument for the first two, but as an international event is the third appropriate? And if yes, do you separate the clubs out by continent or what? What are the club criteria??

Having worked at the ARRL when this one was in its planning stages years ago ( anyone remember open CD Parties? ) the ARRL happens ONLY to manage the IARU event, this does not mean it is an ARRL event, the contest branch at ARRL merely does the number crunching.

Remember event sponsors are doing it to promote something - the ARRL DX promotes DXCC, the SS promotes WAS, etc... but with the IARU contest it is not promoting any ARRL award "directly" and hence things like the club competition categories which help support the ARRL Field Organization are "moot".

IF worldwide interests are in sync with these "domestic" interests that is one thing... if they are just domestic interests they need to be handled outside of the organizers... an example being this past weekends "WRTC Style" affair... the WWDX guys have had mini contests within other contests for years and kept enthusiasm up within their ranks, perhaps some "domestic" group would like to cull through the results and work them backwards but seeing as the data requested by the IARU for log entries is exclusive of the information at the top of this post it would be tough if not impossible.

Why do the rules need to be changed?

To increase participation. By adding new competition categories there
will be added value to the contest. More participants will increase
activity to compete for awards.

Again from your "domestic" perspective... take a look at the DA0HQ totals each year if you want to see where the serious activity in this one is, seems like the Europeans to some extent are more aggressive in the Radiosport than in the WAE (is it the packet thing ;-) ? )

One example:  Did anybody notice the larger than normal number of HQ
stations S&Ping due to low activity when they would normally be CQing to
keep the rate up?  Does anybody believe that the low activity is solely a
result of poor propagation?

Any contester worth his salt will do what is necessary to keep the Qs rolling in - if that means abandoning running in favor of S&P so be it (but when do I make that decision :-))

How will this rule change affect the costs to administrate the contest?

Costs will increase.

How can added costs be offset?

As administrator for the contest, the ARRL can sell memorabilia, such as
pins, coffee mugs, t-shirts, etc.  More competition categories = more
participants = more "buyers" (of memorabilia) = more money!

This is a minimal revenue producer, more of a "cute thing" than a cash sock... I seriously doubt you can get the needed funds this route.

Again this is a very limited view - a US view, perhaps it is best to get input form other hams overseas, Ric.

Conclusion?

Arguing that added costs to add competition categories is prohibitive is
not valid when there is a viable solution.

Once we identify the decision makers for rule changes and the policy and
procedure for presenting a formal proposal, it is my intent to announce a
more developed and detailed plan-of-action to effect these changes.

Again, this is a Worldwide affair, and again - look at those DA0HQ totals!

GL

Jim, K4OJ