Re: [3830] Rule Change for IARU test

To: wo4o@juno.com
Subject: Re: [3830] Rule Change for IARU test
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:14:33 EDT
In a message dated 7/15/2003 10:22:51 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
wo4o@juno.com writes:

> What rules need to be changed?
>
> Add LOW POWER category.
> Add QRP category.
> Add Club/Team Competition.
>
> Why do the rules need to be changed?
>
> To increase participation.  By adding new competition categories there
> will be added value to the contest.  More participants will increase
> activity to compete for awards.
>
> One example:  Did anybody notice the larger than normal number of HQ
> stations S&Ping due to low activity when they would normally be CQing to
> keep the rate up?  Does anybody believe that the low activity is solely a
> result of poor propagation?
>
> How will this rule change affect the costs to administrate the contest?
>
> Costs will increase.
>
> How can added costs be offset?
>
> As administrator for the contest, the ARRL can sell memorabilia, such as
> pins, coffee mugs, t-shirts, etc.  More competition categories = more
> participants = more "buyers" (of memorabilia) = more money!
>
> Conclusion?
>
> Arguing that added costs to add competition categories is prohibitive is
> not valid when there is a viable solution.
>
> Once we identify the decision makers for rule changes and the policy and
> procedure for presenting a formal proposal, it is my intent to announce a
> more developed and detailed plan-of-action to effect these changes.
>
> 73 Ric Wo4o

Hi Ric;

I have purposely been waiting in the wings on this controversy before
throwing in my two cents as I wanted to see where folks were headed. This may
be
construed to have personal meaning for me as my LP IARU score this year was
pretty
good IF you just compare it with other Low Power entries, but in reality I
just enjoy comparing with ALL. Its fun.

It would be nice if there were Low Power or QRP categories in IARU but
certainly not a personal necessity for me. Team competition would be neat
though, as
N0AX organized this year in a casual manner.

Personally, I run most contests low power and I dont care if I am "asterisk
designated" low power during the contests. Its ok to know who your real
competition is, who is running the power etc but I dont need pats on the back,
accolades from others, special designations etc. I pretty much know what I can
do
what I cant do and against who while running 100 watts and dont need to be
specially singled out. Plus I am certainly not one to chase wallpaper. I dont
have
the wall space left here anyway. Too much good motorcycle art on my walls! ;=)

(By the way, an "ERP Classification" would make much more sense to me,  but
thats far too obtuse for most of the guys here, I think. You know, take into
account xmtr output, feedline loss, antenna gains, even antenna hts etc. We'll
leave that to the boys long after I depart!)

Developing ways to increase participation in ANY contest is admirable.
Although with the coming ebb of the sunspot cycle, I believe you will see
reduced
participation, like it or not. This is my 6th sunspot cycle as a ham and I
believe if someone ran a graph of entrants vs sunspot numbers within one cycle,
you
would see a curve that pretty much followed a sunspot curve itself. I.e. The
better sunspot years yield more entries. Lets face it, most of our qso
differences come from working the casual entrant and not eachother. (By
"eachother" I
mean the real contest enthusiasts). The casual entrant, during a poor weekend
of conditions is much less likely even to bother with contesting.

Now, a quick clutch and a gear change............Did the lack of power
classification cause many to not operate? It didnt me, and I am sure it didnt
most
of the other entrants. It would sure be nice if others responded too. This is a
key question.

Obviously your quest is to demonstrate to the contest sponsors that
additional new categories will be worth their admin time. That may be the key
issue in
the sponsors analysis as well. Has there been any communications with the
sponsor?

Even though it has little affect on me personally, I would be happy to
support your efforts as it appears many others here are in agreement with
additional
classes in IARU. Let me know what I can do. (No, I  am not gonna just make
ONE qso next year.......I pick my battle tactics real well in life and that
idea
sucks!) ;=)

73,Bob K8IA
Apache Junction, Arizona USA