[3830] CQWW SSB N4KG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@AOL.COM
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4KG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 05:20:25 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    7     5        4
   40:   21    11       15
   20:  132    18       59
   15:  205    22       76
   10:  245    24       77
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

A nasty stomach virus struck Friday afternoon causing me to miss the first 20
hours of the contest.  Bummer!

Sunday morning was fun with a peak QRP S&P rate of 59 and several hours over 30.
 I was able to work most stations heard who were running USA.  Surprised to miss
LA, SM, OZ, and many G* mults on 10M yet worked OH5NE and RW2F.  Perhaps they
gave up when nothing materialized early on (13Z) but missed the later opening
around 14Z. LOTS of activity from SA and Carib kept it interesting.

Low Bands SUCKED and I slept most of Saturday night after NOT sleeping Friday
due to illness.

Only one rotor indicator still works so the monobanders were set to EU and later
to JA.  Fixed tribanders aimed E, SE, S covered the rest.

This weekend would have been a great time to have a HIGH BAND ONLY category!
With all the tribanders in the world, I think a tribander (10,15,20) category
makes a lot of sense, especially for SSB, and especially during low sunspots
when a single band effort gets pretty boring with lots of unproductive hours.

Tom  N4KG / QRP  from North Alabama (only 60 miles east of W5)

Antennas:

160M   Elevated GP
80M    Dipoles NE/SW at 130 ft, NW/SE at 90 ft, GP
40M    CC 2L40 at 95 ft, Dipole NW/SE at 90 ft
20M    Telrex 3L20 at 75 ft + Tribanders
15M    CC 4L15 at 55 ft + Tribanders
10M    HB 5L10 at 62 ft + Tribanders

TH7  at 40 ft fixed East
TH3  at 40 ft fixed SE