[3830] SS SSB W7UQ School Club LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kl9a@qsl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W7UQ School Club LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:52:18 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W7UQ
Operator(s): KL9A, KC7RSO, KD7YBZ
Station: W7UQ

Class: School Club LP
QTH: University of Idaho
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
  160:
   80:   11
   40:   16
   20:  350
   15:   56
   10:
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

A serious effort turned into a learning contest real fast.

This contest was a big success!
Unfortunately the guys at UQ have to learn how to "contest" from a certified AK
lid.  :-)

I only operated when nobody else was there, or they were taking a break.

Aaron, KC7RSO (UI Student), operated a lot, and we setup his TS2000 as the main
rig.
Doug, KD7YBZ (UI Student), also operated and this was the first real contest for
both of them.
Jeff, KD7PHG, our faculty "co-advisor" stopped by for a bit.
Kyle, KB5TSS (UI Student and UQ Vice-Prez), stopped by but unfortunately we had
already dismantled the station and left. :)
Jeff, KD7YGF (UI Student and UQ Prez) also stopped by after we had stopped.

We had THREE, yep THREE non ham STUDENTS (!) stop by who were extremely
interested, and all 3 will be taking the license exam classes starting
Tuesday.

This brings the total number of UI students who will be taking the class for the
first time and getting their license (some of them trying for extra right off
the bat!) up to a total of 5, including THREE YL'S!!!  Also Aaron is well on his
way to aceing (acing?) that code test and his extra.  Actual numbers of students
may be higher...

Bands were poor, we felt weak, but we had fun.  A great way to introduce some
new *YOUNG* guys to contesting.  Even had pizza DURING the contest, not after I
quit... :-)

However, every Fone SS makes me even more motivated for CQWW CW.  I really can't
stand SSB sometimes.

Check out the new W7UQ webpage at http://www.uidaho.edu/w7uq

-Chris KL9A