[3830] CQWW CW GZ7V(GM4AFF) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GZ7V(GM4AFF) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:55:58 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GZ7V
Operator(s): GM4AFF
Station: GZ7V

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Shetland Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:  126     8       37
   80:  693    16       67
   40:  849    24       81
   20:  603    24       77
   15:  747    20       72
   10:  702    27       73
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Only 35 hours of operating. Unwell for a lot of the weekend, having to stop to
lie down/sleep on Saturday three times. Had a chest/throat infection of some
kind. Hadn't slept on the ferry to the island either, so started off so tired I
couldn't read CW from the off... but those who worked me know that - sorry! Top
band antenna didn't work, so made a dipole quickly on Sunday so I could work
some stuff in the evening.
Pile-ups were a baptism of fire! I found it impossible to get a rate going as
soon as the pileup built. I have no experience of this, and found it difficult,
especially not being able to split. All the theory will never make up for the
reality.
Conditions were probably very good, although I had no way of knowing what to
expect, or how it compared, from 60deg north. Aurora on Sunday at 1700 wiped out
most of HF, but then found I could work stations on 10 and 15 on aurora (as far
south as the Caribbean) by beaming due north! Just like VHF.
Once I realised I was quite ill, I opted to just give away points so the score
is fairly poor, but I had a great time. I thought I'd be the only one on from
GM/s but I worked a station on Friday on 10m, only to discover it was Hans
MM0XAU, who was living in the Eshaness lighthouse less than a mile away! There
are amateur radio ops, even at the end of the world!

Stewart
GM4AFF as GZ7V