[3830] CQWW CW 5U5Z M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g4piq@btinternet.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 5U5Z M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:51:59 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 5U5Z
Operator(s): G0MTN, G3XTT, G4BWP, G4PIQ, K5VT, KC7V, KY7M
Station: 5U5Z

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Niamey
Operating Time (hrs): 47.5

  160:   178    14       56
   80:   701    25       81
   40:  2640    34      112
   20:  4624    37      128
   15:  4778    39      134
   10:  3773    33      115
-------------------------------

Club: VooDoo CG

Comments:

Another great fun contest from West Africa. Conditions seemed good on 40 thru
10, but hard work on 80/160 in spite of a reasonably quiet receiving site
compared to what we had in XT the last 2 years. An astonshing number of dupes
(over 900) - I guess 5U5Z has too many dots in it for folks to copy accurately
and it got spotted 'broken' on the cluster a lot.

This was a no packet effort (not by intention, but internet access wasn't at all
straightforward to arrange). We did think about stationing an operator in the
local internet cafe with a 2m handheld to relay spots, but even it was shut at
the weekend! Not enough of us to do a whole lot in the way of mult spotting
ourselves either, but we did what we could.

We had a couple of power outages on Sunday morning which took us off for about
20 minutes each - but it could have been worse!

The contest required a long slow hot bumpy (stressful!) overland bus journey for
most of the team from Ouagadougou in XT to Niamey in Niger - and as I write this
the rest of the team should be making that return journey right now. I was short
of time and had to fly directly :-) K5VT had problems with a passport lost
en-route from an embassy to him and with just 2 flights / week was only able to
get in around 8 hours before the contest start - not well rested preparation
time! Thanks also to G3SXW for great logistical support from the UK - we did
miss having him with us this year!

Anyhow - thanks to everyone for all the QSOs - it was fabulous.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ

Gear
160 - IC756 + Alpha 78 + Force 12 loaded Vertical (about 60ft)
80 - TS930 + Alpha 76 + Force 12 loaded vertical dipole + Delta Loop
40 - TS930 + Alpha 78 + 402CD
20 - TS850 + Alpha 76 + 3el Force 12 yagi
15 - K2/100 + Alpha 76 + 3el Force 12 yagi
10 - TS930 + Alpha 76 + 4el Force 12 yagi

The yagis were not high over the ground (30-40ft), but the site had a superb
take-off with the land quickly dropping away 60-100 feet, and to the River Niger
to the North West within a few hundred feet.

Also a 400ft beverage & a K9AY loop for receive