[3830] NA Sprint CW K2UA HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rus@k2ua.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K2UA HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:17:52 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K2UA
Operator(s): K2UA
Station: K2UA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:  108
   40:  117
   20:   20
---------------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Team: North Coast Contesters #1

Comments:

Even though the 20-meter antennas were all working fine, and I was pointing in
three directions at all times, I could not make that band work. It was great
earlier in the day; lots of loud stuff on the band. The first ten minutes were
great--then everything went straight into the tank. The strongest signals were
about S6, and most stations I could hear weren't moving the S meter. There was
no short-skip to New England either. Predictably, I was 90 Qs down from my
normal Sprint results. I'm sorry to have let my team down.

80 meters was compromised too. I found that both antennas were broken a few
hours before the Sprint. I was able to fix the four-square because it was just a
broken element under a couple of feet of snow, but that's not a great Sprint
antenna. The inverted V at 90 feet was not to be fixed--it was just too cold. I
normally use the inverted V exclusively on 80 in the Sprints, and it just rocks.
I can see from the ground that half of it is missing from the feed point, so at
least there's an assignable cause. One of these days before ARRL CW I'll
snowshoe out to the tower and fix that problem. Incidentally, we broke the
all-time record for snowfall for the month of January this year with 61.1
inches.

Like N2NC said, however, it's still the best four hours on the radio!