[3830] NA Sprint SSB W6YX(N6DE) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB W6YX(N6DE) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:30:02 -0800
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N6DE
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:   62    0:50
   40:  101    1:20
   20:  128    1:50
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

I was hoping to surpass 300 QSOs in this one and sneak into the Top 10, but no
such luck.  There are a bunch of great scores out there.  Congrats to K9PG and
VA7RR, whose operating abilities are beyond human.

I set up a crude form of SO2R for this contest, hoping to be able to CQ on a
high band while searching for new stations on the active lower band.  It didn't
work, for two reasons:
a) the Writelog voice keyer locked up on the second radio due to RF.  It would
have required a system reboot and network reconnect.  I wasn't willing to waste
time on that.  We had the same problem in a previous contest, and found that it
was most likely RF getting in through the LPT port from the CW keying cable.  I
forgot to disconnect that cable before the contest.
b) Before the keyer locked up, I found that CQing on the second rig slowed me
down in hunting for new stations on the main rig because my concentration was
divided.  I learned that I need A LOT of SO2R practice before attempting this
again in a future Sprint.

I also wanted to see if having a low 40m antenna would be of value in this
contest.  Thanks to K6ENT, I borrowed his 40m dipole and temporarily installed
it at 20'.  It proved to be useful.  The main thing it did was attenuate all the
broadcast noise so that I could actually hear the station's exchange.

It's too bad 40m and 80m were not like they were during the Thu and Fri practice
Sprints.  Local stations that were 59+20dB on Friday were barely copyable 24
hours later.  I got beat out a lot on 80m by other CA stations.  W6TK and W7EJ
had extremely loud 80m signals.

I heard AR and AB, and actually called them, but got beat in the pileups, and
never heard them again.  I heard people having a hard time with K8MR's name...
doesn't anyone watch the NBA?  :)  I tried calling him a few times but he always
had a large pile of midwest stations.

After the Sprint, I went home and wound down to a local rock station that plays
2 hours of 80's hair band rock on Saturday nights... it's good for a blast from
the good old junior high and high school daze.  Sam Kinnison's rendition of
"Wild Thing" always makes me laugh hard!  I need to get that CD one of these
days.  I went to bed before hearing the station's hour of "Hard Core Hell" which
apparently was going to be led off by a 13 minute song by Iron Maiden.  I never
was into Iron Maiden... probably because I'm not into the really hard stuff, and
also because when I was a kid, there was some punk who lived down the street who
was a diehard Iron Maiden fan... dude was really annoying.  What's even scarier:
Iron Maiden is *still* touring!  Now that's insane, but I digress...

73...
-Dean - N6DE