[3830] NAQP SSB NN3W(@W9GE) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nn3w@prodigy.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NN3W(@W9GE) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:49:41 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: W9GE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   44    19
   80:   56    25
   40:  192    43
   20:  436    46
   15:   47    28
   10:    5     5
-------------------
Total:  780   166  Total Score = 129,480

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC UNO

Comments:

This was my first single-op contest since I operated K3ZO's for WAE CW in 1996.
This was also my first single-op domestic contest since 1992.  So, it has been a
very long time in the waiting.

Thanks to Bob W9GE for generously offering his beautiful Easton, Maryland,
station to me for use during the test.  Bob has a truly wonderful set-up; one
that I am certain will become a truly competitive platform as time goes on.  I
look forward to future ops.  I attempted SO2R using the very unorthodox method
of having two separate transceivers - one computer controlled, one not.  The
nom-controlled tranceiver (my own Yaesu FT-990) was run without the benefit of a
headphone switch, bandpass filter, or switching gear.  Essentially, while I had
the TenTec Orion on memory calling CQ, I would remove one of the two headphones
and spin the VFO on the FT-990 listening for signals on the second radio.  Not
effecient, but I did snag about 50 or so second radio contacts.

Anyhow, this was an interesting contest.  Conditions were strange, rather
unfavorable, and not conducive to high scores.  It is even more ironic when one
makes the same number of QSOs on 160 meters as on 10 and 15 meters combined - in
August nonetheless.

We were under thunderstorm threat all day in Maryland and Virginia.  Had to shut
down once at around 19:15 to let one pass overhead.  Lightening static was bad
all afternoon.

Started out on 20 which was truly the workhorse band.  Kept listening for
signals on 15, signals or beacons on 10 and came away rather disappointed.
Periodic openings came on 15 at 2100, 2300, and 0200, but folks simply were not
enticed by my CQs.  0s, 6s and 9s, were very strong, but I guess most had given
up on both bands.

Had an absolutely outstanding of about 180 between 0000-0100.  Lots of callers.
40 was pretty good with good runs.

My surprise let-down was 80 where I just could not get a solid run.  Wound up
S/Ping most Qs.  On the other hand, as ironic as it was, I had some decent runs
on 160 with strong signals that could be heard with not too much effort.  Good
160 runs at 0400, 0430, and 0500.

I agree with (IIRC) K5ZD's sentiment that separate records should be maintained
for the January and August QSO parties.  The conditions and strategies are so
completely different, that they are the same contests in name only.

Anyhow, enjoyed it very much and look forward to the next on.  73 de R2D2 (with
apologies to those using WriteLog that had to spell out the TWO).