[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KB8U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KB8U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:27:54 -0700
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: KB8U
Operator(s): KB8U
Station: KB8U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN71
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

    6:  126    43
    2:  177    54
  222:   64    37
  432:  102    45
  903:   24    16
  1.2:   35    18
  2.3:   10     9
  3.4:    3     3
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  539   225  Total Score = 194,400

Club:

Comments:

This was the best contest ever for KB8U, despite the complete abscense of Es
skip.  There was excellent tropo on Saturday night to the east coast, especially
on 432.  These weren't ear-straining weak CW QSO's, but instead were arm-chair
copy on SSB, clear out to Maine.  Not too much above that, though. I had high
hopes for a repeat on Sunday morning to the east, but conditions were 'only'
above normal.  The consolation was excellent UHF and microwave conditions to
northern Illinois and surrounding areas instead.  Lots of "I can't believe
you're so loud!" contacts this weekend and all-time new grid/band QSOs.  If they
QSL, I'll finally finish off VUCC on 903.

Thanks to some 'grid-circling' rovers, who were having their last hurrah before
the practice is outlawed, I logged a couple dozen QSOs when they were at the
intersection of four grids (and not the closest 4 grids, either) during the
normally-slow Sunday afternoon period.  Lots of other rover QSOs also made it
into the log this weekend thanks to the good conditions.  I didn't even complete
my sole pre-contest arranged sked, all QSOs were random or were scheduled during
the contest.

No equipment malfunctions this time that I know of.  I still haven't got the
10GHz rig going after lightning damage this spring, but I don't think it made
much difference in the score because the rovers who had the band didn't get
close enough to work anyway.

See you in the next contest,

Russell
KB8U