[3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:24:47 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   21     6        8
   80:   92    12       49
   40:  167    18       77
   20:  489    31      105
   15:  556    30      105
   10:  458    25       86
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This weekend was absolutely amazing.  Not only were the conditions fantastic for
this part of the solar cycle, but for me, it was the culmination of 4 months of
non-stop work, on weekends and after work, on assembling my first REAL antenna
system at the new N1UR QTH.  The QTH is still under construction, the first QSO
from the station took place just 1 week ago.  The SO2R set-up was assembled on 2
folding card tables in a room with plaster board up.  The heat was literally
just turned on at 11am Friday. Construction work was going on all weekend, so if
I asked you to repeat, it may have been the circular saw QRN (hi, hi).

I felt like I was guest op?ing at someone else?s QTH since I had no idea how all
the new antennas would play and what my strategy should be.  I set up the
station on Friday and thankfully the few things not working could be fixed
during the day.  Sleeping was on an air mattress and food was in a cooler.  The
bathroom was a ?port-a-potty?.

But it was all worth it, big time!  I almost doubled my last year?s score.

Consistently getting first call responses on radio 2 while cqing at a 90 ? 130
rate on radio 1 is just something you have to experience to believe.  Numerous
times, I was shocked at seeing the rate meter at 100 ? 120 while I was doing
both and not straining.  I would have abandoned the attempt at 80+ before.

The only real runs were 11 ? 20Z Sat and Sun (roughly 50% time).  Even with the
improved antennas, I didn?t bother trying to run on 40 ? 160 on SSB and low
power.

Worked C9 for a new all-time country, first call.  I only walked from about a
half dozen pile-ups the whole weekend.  That would have been 3 times that
before.  I still leave some and come back if I have called 4 or 5 times and it?s
a big pile.  Sometimes they are just gone 15 mins later.

Can?t wait for CQ WW CW now.  The room should be built and the radios on a desk
by then.  The only thing on my ?to do? list for that one is lengthening the 80M
antennas for CW.  Of course, I will have completely moved by then and still
building the house but that will seem pretty tame compared to the last 4
months.

Station:

FT1000MP and FT990, SO2R with Trlog
160 inv vee at 60 feet
80   inv vee at 70 feet and 2 el wire beam EU at 60 feet
40  2 el at 80 feet
20 4/4 at 71 and 34 feet (top rotate and bottom EU)
15 3 el rotate at 75 feet, 8 el EU at 30 feet, 2 el South at 40 feet
10 3el EU at 20 feet, 3 el west at 50 feet, 2 el south at 40 feet