[3830] SS CW WC1M Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WC1M Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:05:05 -0800

Antennas:

160M  -  trapped vee @65'
 80M  -  delta loop @75', trapped vee @65'
 40M  -  40-2CD @72', 4-square
 20M  -  4el SteppIR @75', C3E @50'
 15M  -  4el SteppIR @75', C3E @50', 5-el @50'
 10M  -  4el SteppIR @75', C3E @50'

 580' NE beverage

 All yagis on separate tubular towers (no vertical stacks)

Equipment:

Orion + Alpha 87A, FT-1000D + Acom 2000A, Writelog, TopTen band decoders
and switches.

Another partial effort. The past few years I've participated in M/S or M2
operations for CQ WW SSB (8P8P '02, NT1Y '03, KT1V '04) and haven't had enough
gas left for an all-out effort in SS CW -- one week of rest just isn't enough!
To complicate matters, my wife goes to a women's retreat Friday and Saturday
every year now, and even with child care I can't take my pick of the 24 out of
30 hours to operate.

This year I wanted to do enough to check out the station after some significant
rearranging of antennas and switching. The new 4-el SteppIR at 75' works very
well and should be a big improvement on 10 and 15 to EU. It turned out to be a
good shake-down cruise, as I found a bunch of things that needed fixing or
tweaking. Hopefully, all is ready for CQ WW CW.

Got started an hour late because I had to drop my daughter off for an overnight.
Quickly realizing that I wouldn't be able to put in a full effort, I decided to
focus on getting a clean sweep as fast as possible, and to use the second radio
as much as I could. I figured that would be good practice for finding mults SO2R
in CQ WW CW.

The result was my fastest sweep ever -- got it 6:30 into the contest. Found
VY1JA on 10 about 30 minutes after I sat down. What a relief! That's usually the
hardest one for me. AK came in at about the one-hour mark. Knocked off the
sometimes-tough NE mults (ME, MAR and NL) after less than two hours. Got PR, VI
and PAC after about five hours. The last five were AB, QC, SNJ, NLI, and NNJ --
normally very common mults that I get earlier in the contest. I couldn't believe
NNJ was my last section!

As many have mentioned, conditions got squirrelly after the flare hit, though I
was completely oblivious to the fact that it had happened -- I just kept
pluggin' along. Guess that's what a casual effort leads to. My goal was to get
at least 100 Qs on all bands. Did about twice that on 40 and 15, which were
generally the best bands here despite the flare.

Congrats to WP3R, N2IC, WX0B(K5GA) for great scores under tough conditions, and
especially K5ZD and K1KI for putting two New England stations in the top ten!

See you next year, hopefully for more of an effort.

73, Dick WC1M