[3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:23:13 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:   16     7       10
   80:  143    23       73
   40:  261    32       90
   20:  492    35      111
   15:  238    26       92
   10:   52    14       26
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Rigs: Tentec Orion, Icom 746 Pro - 100 watts
 Ants: 4L SteppIR @ 135?
       Force 12 40m rotary dipole @ 140?,
       40m "Lazy H" for JA/SA suspended between two 135? towers
       HB Quad (2L 20/15, 4L 10) @ 48?
       80m Dipole array supported from 135? tower
       Two beverages: 534? NE, 262? NW
       Shunt loaded 135? tower for 160m

Finally got up a new tower intended mainly to support a 40 meter beam but still
haven?t gotten the beam up. However a 40 meter ?Lazy H? suspended between the
two towers worked very well except when the open wire feedline intermittently
shorted in high winds (which we had most of the weekend).

80 meters was as good to Europe as I?ve ever heard it the first evening but
thunderstorms in the area limited things later in the evening and finally forced
a shut down at 0900. QRN was still very bad when I resumed at 1200 so went to
the high bands as soon as they opened.

A really good 40 meter long path opening to Europe and the mid-east on Sunday
morning extended well past sun rise and brought out the DXer in me when I should
have been running on the high bands instead. Ended up with 32 zones on 40 ? my
highest total ever. Also set new personal records for zones and countries 80.

20 meters was really good to Europe both days. Was able to run Europe for two
hours straight Sunday morning on the same frequency ? something I?ve never been
able to do before. Rather marginal European openings on 15 and none on 10
(though did log several Africans).

Still lots of work to do on antennas ? hope to at least have that 40 meter beam
up by ARRL CW.

Great contest but I?d sure vote to limit operation to 36 hours for single ops
(same for ARRL DX).

Marv, N5AW