[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1ln@consolidated.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:53:31 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): NO5W, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 27

Total:  QSOs = 1083  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 48  Total Score = 321,922

Club: Pesky Texan Contest Club

Comments:

What a difference a day makes !

The usual Houston noise level was doing well on Friday night making
even some northeast state-side Qs hard to copy and very few EU
DX was entering the log.  Chuck and I figured that based on the
incoming thunderstorm for Saturday the next night would be a total
bust - BUT.... not so!!  The conditions on Saturday were the best we
have heard from my QTH.   Europe and North Africa were coming in
a REAL S7 - S8.  Our mult and Q counts were going up!!

Then, about 06:45 UTC, the computer totally locked up.  The mouse
and keybord were dead and even CTRL-ALT-DELETE would not do
anything. PANIC !!  The only option was a power off followed by a
cold start.  I wrote down the Q count / score / mult-count so I could
make a quick audit after reboot and hit the switch.  So as not to lose
my frequency, I started paper logging and hand keying.  That was
fun...NOT!!  Reboot, type on the keyboard, hand key, paper log - ALL
at the same time.  Sure kept me awake.  Well, in about 10 minutes the
computer finished scan disk, the reboot and WriteLog was back up and running.
NOTHING LOST.   The power fail routine in WL is EXCELLENT ! ! !

Our score will certainly not be in the top 10, but with the modest
setup consisting of a simple inverted-L and a couple of short
beverages and... from deaf Houston, TX ... we did well.  Out total Q count was
down but the mult count was up.  The DX 10 point Qs were also up, so our
overall score ended up being our highest yet.  As my wife (N1YXU) and I are
moving to North Carolina later this year this will be the last 160 contest
from our Texas QTH.  Our first and last Qs were with Texas stations.  That
seemed like the right way to start and end this contest.

As always - I really wish the Ops that are running the FT1000-MPs
would part with a couple $$ and install the Key Click mod.  Both of my
MPs have the mod installed, and I have NEVER been told I have
clicks.  There were (4) winners this year for the most excessive
clicks - W9I...., N5D....K9N....K5R....  And, NO - my noise blanker was
not on.   Other MUCH stronger signals were TOTALLY quiet.

Thanks to all we worked, thanks for the patience for our many fill
requests, thanks for the mid-day rain and the resulting quiet conditions.

Hope to work you next year from Chapel Hill, NC.

73,
Bruce - N1LN (almost /4)
Chuck -NO5W

*********************************
STATS
*********************************

EU:    9A, CT, CU, DL, EA, EA6, EI, F, G, GD, GM, GU, HA, I, LA, LX, LY, OH0,
       OK, OM, ON, PA, S5, SM, SP, UA2, YU
AF:    7X, CT3, EA8
SA:    PJ2, YV
NA:    C6, CM, HI, KG4, KL, KP2, KP4, V2, V3, VP9, XE, ZF
OC:    KH6, ZL
AS:    5B, JA

As for sections:  Heard, did not work:  NB, MB
                  Did not hear or work:  NWT, YT, NU

************************************
  160   Total      %

    NA    1003    1003    92.6