[3830] CQ160 CW AJ6L Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wilson.az@starband.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AJ6L Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:44:53 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AJ6L
Operator(s): AJ6L
Station: AJ6L

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ARIZONA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 180  State/Prov = 43  Countries = 9  Total Score = 24,128

Club: Cyanide Springs Contest Club

Comments:

RIG    Yaesu FT-1000D
AMP    Ameritron AL-800H
ANT    Inverted VEE at 60 feet, broadside is E-W

Pleased with the result, considering the modest antenna and limited time
operating. About 3 hours after the contest began, QRN rose for about 1/2 hour,
then fell back to the prior level. Likely due to the high take-off angle of my
low-altitude inverted VEE, closer stations (NM7D, NN7ZZ, K7NV to the north and
N7DD, KC7V, N7IR to the south) were pounding in while I was straining to hear
more distant stations. I'm thankful that Arizona is sparsely populated ... (a
total of only 6 AZ stations were worked), but there's plenty of operators in
nearby CA.

However, well beyond midnight local time first night, the band opened both east
and west simultaneously. JA5DQH, KH7X, N6KB in the Pacific, while in the east
V72ZM, PC5M, CU2A, PJ2T were logged (broadside to my inverted VEE). Not quite so
loud, were QSO's in the southeast KG4SB, KP4A and the northwest AL1G, KL7RA, and
numerous VE3's, VE5's, VE7's were contacted (off the ends of my inverted VEE).

The Arizona QTH is high-desert (4100 feet MSL) with poor soil (not at all like
my former location in California). Maybe next year I'll have a beverage and will
either be receiving much better, or will be less thirsty!

Thanks to all for the contacts! Tom