[3830] RTTY WPX W1ECT SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX W1ECT SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:56:00 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: W1ECT
Operator(s): W1ECT
Station: W1ECT

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Etna, NH
Operating Time (hrs): 30

   80:  183   460
   40:  274  1128
   20:  725  1839
   15:   34    64
   10:    3     9
-----------------
Total: 1219  3500  Prefixes = 502  Total Score = 1,771,000

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Friday: I started out on 20m with a decent rate but the band was closed to
Europe so after an hour I moved to 40m.  I didn't manage to work many European
stations on 40m and couldn't seem to get any run going so after an hour had
passed I moved down to 80m.  I remember complaining a couple of years ago that
80 meters was a forgotten band for WPX RTTY so I was surprised to find it
packed.  I maintained a good rate searching/pouncing the band with a nice mix of
US and DX QSOs.  Finding and working 7X0RY was a pleasant surprise.  After
putting in 5 hours I called it a day with 229 QSOs and 66k points.

Saturday: I got up at 7AM (early for me) hoping to hear some action on 15m but
the band was quiet.  When I moved down to 20m I found the band packed - I stayed
on 20m for most of the day and was able to find/maintain good frequencies to
call CQ and keep up a good rate with plenty or European QSOs so I spent very
little time doing band scans (over three hours went by before I worked my first
US station).  I occasionally checked 10 and 15 meters but only worked about 20
stations.  After 20m closed to Europe I moved down to 40m but I still wasn't
having much luck on this band so I spent the remainder of Saturday switching
between 40m and 80m with a few checks on 20 hoping for an Asian opening (I did
work a few JA stations).  When I shut down the totals were: 20 hours, 779 QSOs,
and 746k points.

Sunday: Got up at 6AM still hoping to hear something on 15m but no luck.  20m
didn't open to Europe until after 6:30 so this gave me time for a shower and
breakfast, a luxury I wasn't able to enjoy Saturday morning.  Again, I had very
good luck on 20m finding/keeping a frequency and maintaining a good rate.
Things stayed quiet on 10 and 15m so I only picked up a few more QSOs there.
When it came time to move down to 40m it was a completely different experience
from Friday or Saturday evenings, I found a good frequency and just kept working
European stations until the end of the contest.

Best QSOs: Unlike last year I didn't have those pleasant surprises of being
called by China, South Korea, etc. so my best QSOs were probably the 80m QSO
with 7X0RY and getting a call from A45WD on 20m.

New ones for DXCC: 4L8A, 5U7B, 6W/G4WFQ, FR1HZ, and ST0RM.