[3830] WPX CW N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:34:21 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 34.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:   72
   20:  190
   15:   99
   10:   35
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

WHAT A BLAST!  Friday night when I quit around midnight, I was
25 Qs ahead of last year.  At 10AM Saturday I was 30 Qs ahead
and really on a tear.  Then from 9 AM until noon Saturday, it
seemed like there must have been some solar event, as signals
just dried up on all bands.  Things stayed slow during the
afternoon, and by 5PM, I was 14 Qs behind last year at that time.
I started worrying about whether I would be able to beat my
2005 score, which was my primary goal.  When I knocked off at 11PM
I was still behind by the same 14 Qs.

Sunday morning things started picking up but slowly.  It wasn't
until 3PM Sunday that I finally passed last year's Qs at
that hour.  During the last two hours I ran at twice my 2005
rate and pulled ahead by a good margin.

I wound up with 398 Qs vs 387 in 2005, a 3% improvement, and
220 prefixes vs 191 last year, up 15%.  My score jumped from
123,959 to 168,960, up 36%.  The jump seems due to the amount of
DX I worked, which really surprised me.  Lots of those Qs
were worth more points than my Qs last year.  Along the way, I
picked up eight new countries--IS9, JT1, KH0, KH5, OE, OH0,
VK9 and YE.  Not bad for a K2 at 5w and my (in)famous WimpyWire
antenna system.

My log showed 239 1pt Qs, 29 2pt Qs, 97 3pt Qs, 9 4pt Qs and
24 6pt Qs.  The 3, 4 and 6pt Qs were 32.7% of my 398 QSOs, so
that explains the big jump.  I had nothing like those numbers
last year.  This year I averaged 1.8 Qs for each new prefix
I worked.

For this year using scrap coax I added a coaxial receiving loop
for 80 and 40.  It worked very well there.  When noise really
came up on 20, I tried it there too, and it worked very well,
even copying the European stations.  Now I plan to add a loop
optimized for 20m to nest inside the 80/40m loop.

I tried a bit of semi SO2R, using my new K2 as the operating radio
and my old K2 as the search receiver.  I wasn't too successful, but
I did add about 6 QSOs as I found them with the search receiver.
I'm not really set up yet to use both K2s as transmit radios due
to lack of a second decent antenna.  That's in the works for a
Summer project.

The biggest problem I had was trying to squeeze in 36 hours of
air time.  Sleep, meals and some family chores really eat into
those hours.  I managed 34.5 hours, which is a bit better than
last.

Hope you all had as much fun as I did.  Hope to work many of you
during Field Day in June.

Thanks for all the Qs.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude