[3830] IARU NX5M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU NX5M M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:55:57 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): N5DUW, KU5B, AD5Q, NX5M
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:     7     0      6
   80:   178     0     34
   40:   299     0     52
   20:   388   632     79
   15:   295   247     47
   10:    91    96     22
---------------------------
Total:  1258   975    240  Total Score = 1,600,560

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

The decision to operate this year was not decided until a matter of hours before
the start of the contest.
Station antenna issues as well as operators were the main two reasons.  Worst
case was the KU5B would do a single-op from here.
Addition of an operator Friday afternoon made the decision easier.  My personal
feeling about operating was that I really did not feel like it.  I figured to
let the other guys do the operating and I would fill in here and there as
needed and would go to bed at a decent hour since there were still 5 antennas
to put in the air and I was planning on getting those done the day after the
contest.
One week ago there was not a 20m antenna in the air nor was there a tower to
put them on.
I had no 160 antennas up and the 80m antenna selection was reduced by 50%.  But
with the help of AB5K and N5XJ we were able to get 3 of the 20m yagis on the
tower, rotor installed and the electronics connected as well as the 160m and
80m stuff back into the air.
Interesting to still be hearing EU after 0000z on 10m.
This was a good shakedown of what has been done to the antennas so far.
As one of the ops here said, he was amazed what was accomplished in such a
short
period of time where the antennas were concerned (N5DUW).  All of the new
antenna installs worked quite well and I will be so relieved to just get all of
them into the air and be done with this project (if that is ever possible).
Still fighting a lockup problem on a computer under exactly the same conditions
that made it happen during wpx cw.  Irritating to have the computer freeze up
when a station is waiting for their report.  With the computer frozen there is
no keying so we could not do a thing until the computer was restarted.  For
those of you who wondered "what the heck are they doing?", this was the
reason.
KU5B managed to not fall out of the bunk bed this time.....but that is probably
because he never went to sleep, not even in the operating chair (I don't think).
 I have no way of knowing because I was well into my sleep by the time he might
have faded out.
Participation seemed good this year.