[3830] TBDC N5OE Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5oe@nctwb.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N5OE Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:30:21 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5OE
Operator(s): N5OE
Station: N5OE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: em02
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

Total:  QSOs = 165  Total Score = 2,212

Club:

Comments:

Pretty good band conditions as far as QRN this year from here. Spent nearly all
my time S&P with about 10-15 minutes of CQ to catch other S&P runners was the
plan from here. I had a struggle (par for me) getting 6's to hear me. The 7's
this year were easier than in the past. The NE including most 4's was a cake
walk it seemed early Sunday morning from here, RI and ME were all coming in 589
on the beverage! This is where I logged most of the high pointers from Texas.

Early Sunday morning about the only DX heard/ran across from here were UA2FF,
N0FW/KP2 and PJ2/WB9Z.There signals were good but I never could get back to
them with 5 watts. I did manage to get a few ..--.. 's from N0FW/KP2 but no
QSO.

This is the first QRP effort from me in a good while, and it REALLY helps keep
life in perspective:) It was mentioned earlier by KD2MX that QRP is
"frustrating and exciting" ,,, how true this is. What a joy and excitement it
is to call and call and never be heard by a 579 signal and then you get a 349
signal that nails you on the first call in a 3 person pile-up and its a 24
pointer! Thanks N1EU "Aint 160 FUN!!"

A rig with GOOD QSK is mandatory in my book for 160/QRP, and this rig of mine
is not any where near that. The bumping and thumping through the headphones
from this FT-920 really takes the fun out of calling until you are blue in the
face for a simple ..--.. every now and then :) Next time it will be a TEN TEC
for ME!!

5 watts into a 57' shunt fed tower with 20 full sized ground radials.
FT-920 packed in Inrad
550' NE beverage
NA and 2 gallons of Folgers

Have a Great New Year!