[3830] CQ160 CW N9ADG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brianmo@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9ADG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:29:11 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N9ADG
Operator(s): N9ADG
Station: N9ADG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 555  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 14  Total Score = 98,630

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

The more I do this, the more I learn; I spent alot of passes crawling up and
down the band looking for stations under other stations. Found T32 and VP9 this
way, worked at least one JA that way.

On night one heard HK3 (he was SPing), PJ2, ZY, KP4, KP2, HP1 (very loud!
listened to him working some JAs), the CU station, CE, XE (two different
prefixes) -- couldn't work any except PJ2, though the band sounded great. Later
JA, BY, whispers of the 3W, UA0 booming (heard working RW0 and HL), was able to
work T32 and JA, and a few KH6s.

Ended the first night with about 350 in the log. The next night, things seemed
more difficult to the East coast, but then things really looked up when I found
VP9 low in the band, and somehow managed to complete a contact. I think we were
both surprised. Then found CU2 in the dx window (remembered to check often
during the night), calling CQ alone and LOUD. Had to listen a couple of times
to figure out what I was hearing - what, no pileup? Called and got his
attention. After a couple of go 'rounds, he was in the log. Bunches of others
found him at that point, but that was a definite highlight for me, and
encouraged me to go after the ones I didn't work the night before -- was able
to get ZY, KP2, KP4, CE, XE, V3 in the log. Heard VP5 and HP1, but it was not
to be.

Heard the first JA on night 2 at about 08z, anticipated a good morning, however
by then 'OTH radar noise source' was in full force. Sort of sound as if you were
standing next to a freight train rolling by with a bunch of really big a/c
compressors running on them -- swirling curtains of sound, punctuated with
smaller clunking. Glad I'm not paying the electric bill to run that. Heard a
few JA stations listening for callers on 194x -- was able to add one new one
that way.  I thought a DU might have called me after a CQ , but it was right at
the fade, and didn't hear any more.

Antennas: 2 unterminated beverages, one E-W, the other N-S. TX inverted L  75'
high over elevated radials.