[3830] WiQP KB9OWD SO Fixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] WiQP KB9OWD SO Fixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:36:36 -0700
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH: Dodge Cty
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:  100    133
   40:   82     94
   20:   34     26
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:           1
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  216    253  Mults = 100  Total Score = 102,600.0

Club: Fond du Lac ARC

Comments:

Score is with the 1.5 power multiplier.

All in all I am happy with the effort given conditions here. Again traveled a
few miles down the road to the station of W9BCV.  Op conditions were an Yaesu
FT-1000, TH7 for 20 and wires for 40 and 80.  Duane and Penny were out of town
in Milwaukee so no chance to rag chew but as always, thanks to them for the use
of the station and location, which always brings me good results.  Other than
the few times I snuck up to 20 I never really felt a lul in the action and
could always flip between 40 and 80 and PH or CW to keep a reasonable string
calling in.  The WI weather made it tough to want to stay in the chair at all
times as here it was sunny and temps reached to the 50's for the first time in
several months.

My goal was to beat the score from last year which was just over 99,000 and
managed to do that.

Overall I dropped from 232 CW QSO's last year to 216 this year (6.8% drop).  I
made up for that loss with an increase in PH QSO's, going from 217 last year to
the 253 this year (14.2% increase).  Overall QSO's are up from 249 last year to
270 this year (7.7% increase).  Mults were also up 3 from 97 to 100 (1 less
county 53 down to 52, 3 more states from 40 to 43 and 1 more province from 4 to
5).

I tried starting on 40 to see how things were and 40 was way too long for this
one.  Looking back I think I had 7 total 40 meter QSO's with stations in
Wisconsin which consisted of 6 in surrounding counties and Mark, W9MIM about 5
miles away.  The first 10 minutes of the contest on 40 CW logged stations in
TN, OH, NY, OK, FL, CO and MO just after 1:00 local time here, so knew right
off the bat things would be way too long on 40.

80 was the place to be to log in state QSO's and everyone from a neighboring
county to the opposite part of the state was loud, generally ranging from S9 at
the low end to all the way up to 60 over at times.  What was shocking of all of
this was 80 CW.  Maybe it was just this end, but I expected a better showing as
far as my score went here.  I had to work a bit down there, 80 PH seemed to
bring in a good string all the time however I kept getting away from it,
thinking as good as conditions were there I should be on CW for double pts. but
the runs there never matched CW.

Only regret of the 7 hours was not to chase the mobiles a bit more.  I logged
N0IJ late in Douglas and Bayfield for a few new ones, but I know if I had
actively followed them a bit more I could have added another 5 or 6 counties.

Alot of new /AG calls calling in this weekend and congratulations to all the
new upgrades.  The new licensing rules certainally have alot making the step up
in license class.  Tried to make sure to congratulate all as they called in.

Happy to submit my score with and be part of the Fond du Lac ARC team effort
again and thanks to Randy, KB9KEG for all he does to put that together.  Also
nice to see some of the regulars out including John K4BAI, N4PN (who I was
concerned as I never got to say HI on SSB although reading his post I see
Murphy paid a visit to him and gave him amp troulbes but still always a
pleasure to see and greet Paul).  Dan, WR0DK and Mike, W9RE also both popped in
late on 80 CW and nice to run into both of them as well as Glenn, K6NA who was
worked several times both on PH and CW.  VP2E was also a big suprise and nice
to seem him working around on several bands for 4 QSO's on both PH and CW on 20
and 40.

Thanks to all the mobiles who participate in this one that keep the folks
coming back for more.  You all had good signals and put out a good string of WI
counties.

See you all in WPX SSB in a few weeks, most likely as a SOSB 80 effort as I
have to work that weekend.  Will likely be on as KZ9O.  Thanks again for all
the QSO's and making this so much fun for all the WI operators.

73,

Ryan KB9OWD