[3830] NCCC Sprint K0XP LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0xp@dandy.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K0XP LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:15:52 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Jun 15

Call: K0XP
Operator(s): K0XP
Station: K0XP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VERMONT!!
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:   7      5
   20:  17      7
-------------------
Total:  24     12  Total Score = 288

Club:

Comments:

Wanted to keep my 100% NS Ladder attendance record, so a cupla days before my
trip, decided I'd go HF-CW mobiling again for the first time in almost 25
years. I was parked in the motel parking lot in Barre, VT (nice clear shot to
the west with fairly-unobstructed shot to the SE and S) on an overnight stay
for a job interview. Had a TS-130S and used my trusty old Master Mobile coils
(modified long ago with higher-Q and lower-loss coils), top whips and Hustler
fold-over base masts. The 20m that I drove with was in a magnet mount sitting
in the bed of my Elky while the 40m was on the rear bumper; thus, by using my
MFJ249D antler tuner which has two coax antler ports, I had two bands available
at the flick of a switch and a bit of retuning  8-)

Worked only 20m during the SNS, however, and had 15 Qs in just 5 multipliers
for 75 points; almost half of those were with just two Texans, one of them FIVE
times  ;o One new call I don't rember hearing before was N9NC, who had been
calling N9NB just before the SNS started but I guess QRN was too high or the
distance too short for NB to hear NC. Another welcome one I haven't heard often
was WW9R, who gave the "rare" mult of WI. And it was a pleasure to hear and work
good ole regulars W9RE and W0BH in the SNS, too.

For some reason, I seem to do way better in the SNS, QSO-per-minute-wise, than
the QRQ NS  ;o|

During the NS, everybody else, as usual, got a good drop on me with Q counts 3
to 5 higher just 5 or 10 minutes after the start; but there was so much QRM
with everybody calling everybody else that it was hard to be heard at first
from a mobile setup until the bloodletting had subsided to some extent  ;o)

However, at least three times when I'd finished with someone, a pileup of at
least 3 and probly 4 others called me. Natcherly, with the small amount of
ignition noise I had to contend with plus weak power line noise, only the
loudest got through the first time; and again, those were mainly Texans with a
smattering of two or three Illinois folks thrown in  ;o((((  Still, eventually,
the band swung a bit further south and I got the attention of N9NB/VA and
K3STX/MD.

And for some reason, I persisted in calling K8GU, K8GU/4 instead of just K8GU,
even while I was writing down his QTH as IL  ===========8-O

Finally, with 10 mins remaining and needing more mults, I switched to 40....
and forgot to switch the antler tuner's coil tap switch to match the 40 antler
;o(((((  Wasted 5 minutes trying to work anyone, even when nobody else was
calling them, until I finally twigged to the wrong switch setting: with the
correct switch setting, 7 Qs in the last 5 minutes were very easy on 40.

The guys out west were always in there on both bands, copiable, and I called
them whenever possible, to no avail: always, the midwesterners got through
first. I rember hearing K7SS, W6OAT (nice to hear you, Rusty), K7SS, the Locust
K6VVA, K7SS, K6UFO, K7SS, W7OM, K7SS, K7NV, and K7SS. Frankly, I can't figger
out how Danwa manages to get such high Q counts when every time I twiddle the
knob, there he is again  ;o