[3830] CQWW CW VE6CNU SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6CNU SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:33:35 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  658    27       58
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

While I fell short of last year's score (about 120 QSOs less), I feel pretty
good about the effort.  On Friday night, I got to work about 1 hour before 20m
died and had managed only 21 QSOs in the log.  Saturday morning started about
7:40AM local (1440Z) with 20m open to the east coast.  It is always frustrating
to hear VE3s working Europe hours before we can, especially when they are in the
same CQ zone as we are in Alberta.  By the time 20m closed down around 5:30PM
local time (0030Z), I had managed to work 45 countries and 23 zones.  Not
great, but then we are at a sunspot low.  And I am only running 100W.  Last
year, Sunday was the big day as 20m was open to everywhere.  This year, that
didn't happen.  I started making the odd Q around 8AM (1500Z) and waited for
Europe to open up.  Unfortunately, a strong solar wind appeared and limited my
European opening to less than 10 minutes, as I managed 3 stations in France and
one in England.  This year there was no Germany, Italy, Poland, Sweden, etc.,
which is why I was short 15 countries when compared with last year's effort.
And then at 12:30PM local time, a sudden loud roar appeared out of nowhere
(actually from space) and wiped out most of the signals.  I still managed to
have a nice run of Americans for a couple hours, but DX was out of the
question.  The solar wind subsided a few times and during the lows I was able
to work some nice DX into South America and Japan.  The band was closing as the
contest end neared, but I was able to score a double mult with 10 minutes left
to go, with CE4CT.

All in all, I had fun with this contest and I'm hoping the experience learned
will be of value when the bands improve in future years.  This was my 3rd year
doing the SOSB/20 LP class and hope to see you all next year!

Jerry
VE6CNU

By the way, I was in the middle of a great run, doing about 250 Q/hr, when some
guy sent me a 579 report.  This is not the time for honesty!  It sure messed me
up a bit, but at least I caught it.  There's always one! HI HI