[3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:50:21 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ/9
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:   75    14       37
   80:  174    20       78
   40:  191    25       88
   20:  488    31      107
   15:  143    21       75
   10:   23     9       17
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Competition Makes Contesting Interesting

I didn't seriously believe that just because N1UR said
he was leaving the country that a non-New England station
would win.  But, just to be sure, I prepared like it.

I installed a NE and a SE beverage "just in case."
Boy, was I glad.  Normally, I listen on my transmitting
antennas for 160 & 80, but Thursday I was shocked to find
S9+ QRN on both 80 & 160 in the morning hours, when the
normal S-meter reading should be about S-2. The noise
was about the same level in all four directions with
the four-square.  I tried shunting the feedpoints of
all the verticals with 1/4 WL shorted stubs in case it
was some kind of cororna discharge, but it didn't seem
to make any difference.  With the beverages, the QRN was
only S5. I was unable to find the source - it was with me
until Monday. So, I would have worked virtually no stations
on 80 or 160 if I had gone down my normal path.

Conditions were really poor here in 9-land. Last year I
worked more stations on 15 with one antenna which didn't
turn than with 3 rotating yagis this year.  My best hour
"running" on 20m was 56. Of course my SMC comrades
150 miles away tell me how good I had it....

Some idle chatter -

199 band changes between QSOs - I'm glad I got that 6-pack
fixed!  Running out to the tower to change bands last year
really got old.

11% of QSOs were with Canada - thank you!

The three Africans I heard on 10 (D4C, 3X5A, V51AS) were
all S-9 for about 30 minutes Saturday, never heard any on
Sunday, nor any sign of Pacific stations at all.  Heard
N5AW calling CQ on 10 and figured Marv may have had a run
going, and therefore probably had great 15m stats, but
I would have been wrong.  Keeping the second radio on 10
all day almost certainly cut down on my 15m totals, but I
didn't want to miss the band if it opened for an hour
like in October (it didn't).

You guys in New England are on notice that I'll still be
here with my single tower when the sunspots return. So
bring your A-game or don't come.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9