[3830] CQWW CW SM6WET SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sm6wet@telia.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW SM6WET SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:51:48 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: SM6WET
Operator(s): SM6WET
Station: SM6WET

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  141    14       59
   80:  128    16       64
   40:  149    25      102
   20:   97    17       70
   15:   54    17       41
   10:    9     6        8
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Just like CQWW SSB 2007 I set up my station in our little cabin outside of town.
The place has no real close neighbours off season and there are several high
pine trees I can use. Some of them from nice neigbours who lend them out to me
as long as I put them back HI HI.

Rig: FT-920
Amp: Ten-Tec Titan 425
Antennas:
160m: 20m high inverted-L with top part slanting 45° downwards. Antenna is
made of 1,5mm¹ wire and supported by a pine tree.
80m: Fullsize ¼-wave wire vertical supported by pine tree.
40m: Elevated ¼-wave wire vertical fed 4m up with 8 elevated radials.
20m: Elevated ¼-wave wire vertical fed 5m up with 2 elevated radials.
15/10m: Chimney mounted 7-band ECO vertical.

Listening antenna:
Was going to set up a E/W non-terminated beverage for listening but when I
finally brought the compass to the place I found that the bobwire fence 5m from
the house was going exactly from west to east. I measured the lenght to approx
120m and hooked in on it with a home made 9:1 transformer.
It did not cut out alot of side-lobe so I was still getting lots of QRM from
south Europe but I got the noise down to zero and I did hear stations like B1Z,
JT1CO, VK6HD and several JA stations on 160m. Without it I would never had
worked H7 on 160m the morning after the contest.

I worked assisted class due to alot of assistance by the YL's good cooking and
help getting me out of bed after a few hours of sleep, DX-cluster and alot of
assistance from Mr Murphy although I could have done without his help.
Mr Murphys assistance included burning up 3 PL-259s, 1 dubble female, letting
my radiator on 20m get loose from the connection causing the radiator to get
stuck 6m up in a pine tree with the connection, coax and radials on ground.
Mr Murphy also caused my multiband vertical that I used on 10/15 to change it's
center frequency to higher SSB portion of the band which forced me climb a sheet
metal roof with a layer of snow and ice in order to have it adjusted.
The most annoying help Mr Murphy provided was however to shut down my dial-up
connection very often and easy on 80m - 2 consecutive calls at 30WPM would do
it.

I never made any running mode operation, my CW abilities is way to small so I
was just S/P-ing.

Anyhow, I should not say I had any goals for the contest more then it would
have been nice to work more then 100 different DXCCs in total and to get a few
new on 160m. A complete new country would be nice but when you start to get
above 250 countries it gets difficult to find anything new in a contest unless
there is a super-size expedition going.
Was I surprised when I on Sunday night discovered that I worked more then 90
countries on only 40m...... I quickly set a goal to reach 100 on that band
which obviously I did.
Now when I finally put all the log in my Lux-Log I can see that in total a 124
countries were worked (excluding Sicily, African Italy and Shetlands) which was
far better then any expectations.
I gained:
6 counries on 160m +1 on the morning after.
3 countries on 80m
10 countries on 40m
4 countries on 20m
3 countries on 15m
4 countries on 10m
The last 4 countries on 10 was a dream come true to me, I have finally worked
the 100 countries on 10m and that completes my 5BDXCC (Yea - dont remind me
that I need the cards... I know, I know) But I think it is qutie ok for being a
small pistol on HF since May 2004.

What else: 3 new zones on topband, 1 new zone on 40m, 15 and 10m each.

High-lights in no particular order:
Finding and killing what Mr Murphy helped me with.
Getting a complete new country in the log: Nicaragua.
Hearing VK6HD on topband.
Hearing E51A on 80m (would have been nice to worked, I am also ZK1WET)
Working my friend John 9H1XT that I visited a few months ago.
Making a contest Jackpot (work all 6 bands) with 3X5A.

I'll see you next year!
73 de Magnus SM6WET