[3830] WPX SSB ZL3A(ZL3WW) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB ZL3A(ZL3WW) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 04:55:18 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ZL3A
Operator(s): ZL3WW
Station: ZL3WW

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: auckland
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 1841
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

The contest has begun as usual, at 3pm local time. Propagation were
quite poor, actually not very poor, but with high qrm, static crashes and
some strange interference that I haven't encountered before...
I've completed the first day with great difficulties ending it with 1001
contacts
and 551 prefixes. Pretty bad long path to Europe and the small number
of USA qsos (only about 200) would summarize the first day.
The second day was almost the same, although with slightly better
propagations.
I had a nice European run over the long path that especially helped
with some new multipliers. At 2am local time the "Chinese Dragon" showed up
forcing me to move to the lower portion of the band and to operate split for a
while.
I fail to see why there is a  such a big problem for some people for a few
major contests per year if someone operates in cw or ssb portion of the band.
In any case first 50KHz is recommended for cw, but it ain't exclusive for cw
use.
Same goes for the ssb, but to each his own I guess.
The strongest signal on the band was by far OK5R and then quite behind were
2 other Europeans: YT8A and 4O3A. K1TTT, KC1XX, W3LPL W3LR were
nowhere to be heard - probably taking a rest after the ARRL.
This round I've used 1.8KHz ssb filter, as opposed to the ARRL when I had
2.4KHz and that certainly proved to be very useful.
The rest of the equipment performed as usual - nothing to complain about.
Thanks to all that called and hope to see you again in cw part, but now with
one of the call signs ZL3WW/ZM3WW. The ZL regulations specifies that
special call sign can be issued only for the duration of one year and after
that
another person can apply for it, so I won't be using ZL3A/ZM3A call signs.
The goal was to improve the last year score and I was able to do so.
I've added some statistics further bellow...
512 usa and canada
343 ja
640 eu

73 Dule ex ZL3A