[3830] WPX CW KT2Z(K5NA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KT2Z(K5NA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:56:49 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT2Z
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    1
   80:  109
   40:  863
   20: 1042
   15:  540
   10:  123
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

It was an interesting weekend.

10 and 15 meters seemed to be constantly changing going from good to poor
conditions. Listening from Texas, it was hard to tell on either of these bands
and accurately determine their status until you put out a few CQs to see who
would answer. I worked one European on 10M and only 43 European stations on
15M. No JAs were worked on either band.

20 and 40 meters were the workhorse bands and when open, provided lots of QSOs.
However both bands were noisy and there was a rolling QSB that forced me to ask
for a lot of repeats and to hope they would answer during a QSB peak. If we
kept at it, I could usually get the call and exchange. But it was sometimes
slow going.

Last year I had a nice run of JAs on 80M but that really didn't happen this
year. I worked only 25 JAs and 2 Europeans this year on 80M. 160M was only
worth a brief try and the QRN this late in the year made it almost impossible
to work anything. Only W6NL and I connected there.

I approached this contest the best that I could and think I got as much out of
the operator (me), the station, and the SO2R setup that I am capable of. No
excuses and I don't see how I could have done it any differently.

Congrats to my buddy, N3BB (NT5C), who edged me out again. And congrats to N5DX
(NN5J) for a terrific midwest final score.

Thanks for all the QSOs folks.

73, Richard - K5NA aka KT2Z