[3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:36:41 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5N

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:   15
   40:  332
   20:  268
   15:  268
   10:    7
------------
Total:  890  Prefixes = 436  Total Score = 1,284,456

Club:

Comments:

Xcvr: Elecraft K-2

Antennas:
Quad up 25 meters, 4 el 10M, 3 el 15M and 20M
TH6 Tribander up 25 meters, fixed north
2 el yagi for 40M up 30 meters
2 el 40M Quad fixed at 20 degrees
80M rotatable short dipole up 32 meters
80M loop with apex up 27 meters
A3 tribander up 12 meters fixed 135 degrees
20M 4 el yagi fixed north up 15 meters

Condx were bad. I only had 7 Qs on 10 Meters, and that is not good for a QRP
score!

I should have spent more time the second night on 40 and 80. Instead, my time
on the HF bands on Sunday was so poor that I had rates of only 5 or 6 and hour
for several hours. Operating time management is a crucial strategy in this
contest.

I can't quite figure out why there is so many less USA / VE in this contest
than in the ARRL DX Contests. It would seem that USA / VE contestors would be
interested in both contests. Having 252 Qs in Europe, most being on 40 and 20
did help a lot.

And I really miss the Japanese contestors over the past few years. I am amazed
to see that I only had 15 Qs in Asia!

But it was still a lot of fun and I would not miss this for the world!

73 and thanks to all those who struggled with my weak sig!

....Bill Parker  W8QZA - TI5N