Re: [3830] SS CW K5ZD Single Op HP

To: <k5zd@contesting.com>, <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [3830] SS CW K5ZD Single Op HP
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 10:09:59 -0500
Glad to see you didn't let the streak die! Nice score for only 17 hours.

Thought I'd be able to do a full effort, but ran late installing the new DXE
reversible Beverage on Saturday. That wasn't necessary for the contest, but
I had very limited time available before CQ WW CW to do it, and good enough
weather for antenna work isn't common here in November. Didn't want to be
trudging through a foot of snow along 600' of woods! It was worth it: the
Beverage works quite well and I'm glad I did it. Hopefully, it'll help me
pickup some additional Carribean mults in CQ WW CW.

Lost a little more time on Sunday when I discovered one of my 80m wires was
down. Took the time to cleanup another wire antenna, too.

So, only got about 9.5 hours in, most of them during sub-optimal times. But
did about 500 Qs, which provided good practice. Made a point of working the
second radio hard while CQing, and several times S&Ped on both radios at the
same time with the filters at 1KHz. The latter is a good drill for decoding
several signals in each ear.

Also focused on S&P more, trying to improve my rate (not easy in SS!)
Despite a lot of effort, missed 3 sections: NLI, MB and NT. Not surprised I
missed Ed at VY1JA. When did you work him? I've often worked Jay in the
first few hours, so not being on at that time this year might have been a
problem. I looked all over for MB, but heard no VE4 (and not that many VEs
in general.) That one is usually pretty easy. NLI sometimes comes late --
they probably have a lot of CCRs there -- but I've never missed it.

Still the best warmup for CQ WW CW. Getting psyched for that. My new 2-el
40m did really well in WPX and IARU. WW will be the definitive test. Didn't
get around to the 80m 4-square or 160m sloping vertical (patterned after
yours.) Maybe next year. Also playing around with models to see if I can
stick monobanders for 15 and/or 10 between the SteppIRs, like K1DG did at
N1LI. So far, my models show the SteppIRs don't like that on 15. I ran a
model of Doug's situation and I think he's getting a big vertical lobe on
the SteppIR stack on 15. Have more work to do to verify that.

73, Dick WC1M