[3830] WPX SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB15(R) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB15(R) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 03:20:49 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB15(R) LP
QTH: Mazotos Cyprus
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  288
   10:
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

As a cw op I have to admire the stamina of ssb contesters. I was only dipping in
and out of this one during mainly daylight hours and , apart from a one hour
opening to europe, I was unable to do any running as calling was unproductive
for a low power stn, but my voice was feeling the effects. Voice keyers are
obviously now an essential tool but just hear those top guys go, with continual
piles they don't get to use the keyers very often! I did a single band
on 15mtrs, I did try to get on 20m to give out some mults after my band closed
on Saturday evening but had enough after only 30 q's and retired to the
armchair with a nice glass of malt whisky, never ever done that in a cw test!

Propagation still poor on 15m, Saturday was the better of the two days but I
reckon any guys operating north of the 40th parellel had a pretty tough time
all weekend on this band. I certainly had to grind out most of my q's!  No
europe north of spain on Sunday and far less Asians too but SA was booming in
Unusually the caribbean guys were not much in evidence and those I did hear
were way down on the normal strong sigs we get here from that area. I heard
very few stateside and only NJ4U pulled me through. Poor support from Africa &
apart from one VK6, nothing at all heard from VK/ZL or south pacific. There were
some strange skewed paths too, on Sunday afternoon I was hearing very strong
sigs from eu stns whilst beaming due west but they didn't copy me, and when I
turned the beam up to the north west they disappeared! Must say I am impressed
with the growth of ham radio in China, there were dozens of BY's active for
this one.

Gotaways, YN, TI, KH7, AH2, KH0, BW6 & DU.

Lowlights, very bad wide splatter from some stations completely covering
desirable mults.

Highlights, it is always nice to work faraway dx with just 100w but I got most
kicks from just listening to the top operators, like Bob K3EST who, with a
pretty common K3 pfx, had an impressive count in excess of 1400 q's after just
19 hours. Also CN2R who had hit 2200 q's after 20 hours!. That guy can talk
faster than most of us can think! Despite his huge pile he hits on the correct
c/s first time almost every time and his urgency brings snappy responses from
the callers! Now why do I get so many long winded fellers? - that ough't to
tell me something!.

A good contest which makes me think I should get the mic out more often.

73  Brian   5B4AIZ.